Teal ink, Yellow Udolphowolf, Harrison's Columbian

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Asterx

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts B. Bill, and Jim. Haha Bill, I don't even know where the foundation was, I just bought them second hand, but turned out to be a very nice deal apparently. Thank you for the info! Bill, thank you for your thoughts on Kovel's and pricing guides in general, (I've thought the same thing, that they're not very reliable) I've been to a few shows, and watch ebay habitually. What I find about the shows is that the prices seem fairly steep compared to Ebay, but I don't blame the sellers as Ebay I'm sure has certainly made the market change. It is amazing to see such a collection of top notch bottles though, and I'm sure if I went with a hundred in my wallet and was ready to do some haggling, I could probably walk out with a very good deal. Now on to burning the kovels ;)... Thank you both.

Asterisk

woody

Reaction score
The label on the ink. Not much left and of no concern when that much is missing.
Looks like mice chewed up the label.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Great looking bottles you picked up and I couldn't agree more on the Kovels. They once did a typo where they listed a $30 dollar bottle at $300 and it was amusing watching people trying to get that out of that common bottle. There are some excellent reference books out there for specific categories, however.

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, *...

Got your PM... Some thoughts:

Not sure about age for the Wolfie, but considering its neighbors, should have some age to it... Might be a subtle sandchip pontil... See if it feels like sandpaper when you run your finger around the base... If you can post some good close-ups of the base & lip, that could tell us more...

With that chip, you could try casting resin to repair it, but matching the color is tricky... Given the condition of the bottle, I'd say its main value is as an historic display piece, so keep the label... Check out on line to see what you might use to preserve it...

There are open pontil Wolfies, but they're fairly rare... Most pontiled ones are so-called sandchip/stickyball or iron pontiled... They were blown in a myriad of colors & lots of different sizes, lip treatments and so on...

Nice haul, all in all!

Ron

F7A0AA65A80147C487EC57CCA68503EF.jpg

Attachments

• F7A0AA65A80147C487EC57CCA68503EF.jpg
    F7A0AA65A80147C487EC57CCA68503EF.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 67

Asterx

Reaction score
Bearswede,

Fantastic collection, thanks for sharing the picture! Likewise with your info regarding the Wolfe. I'll try to get some pics of the base up soon. The base isn't sandpapery to the touch at all, but I have noticed a small uncentered indented circle of sorts upon the base, which I've seen in an example of a rough pointiled Wolfe on the SHA Bottle website. I wonder if it is pontiled, or if the small circle indentation is indicative of pontiling? It's a smooth, pitted, base. Hmm. Thank you much again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu