Ashs, seeds, and black dirt!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Okay,....as of last week we planned to try for a privy or two for a change,....The place we had lined up produced no definite privys, but we did find an old B.F. Stinson polish, just laying under a tree....Fred had to get back home, as we hadn't really planned an official dig, and he was over our way looking for a utility truck...Penn Digger Tom and I went to our permission, but got caught in a downpour...., went back after it let up and wandered the woods behind this property,....other than the stove polish, we couldn't locate anything.... we had no where to go and drove downtown....We pulled up at a demolition site, the wreckage was still there, but Penn Digger noticed two depressions in the lawn adjacent. We had the probe and it went right in like Ricks "Magic probe" video....We opened up the first spot with a clay cap and it was either a mighty shallow privy, or a trash pit,...a lot of glass, shoes, crockery.....but not too deep,.... maybe 3-4 feet...Meanwhile,....Penn Digger started on the other spot....We were ill prepared for any digs....One shovel, no camera and two potato rakes....We got both holes open,...Tom dug a small diameter test hole straight down four or five feet,....All the dirt outta that hole was black as night with seeds, fluffy ash, and glass.....unfortunately we had to leave our work till tommorow or tues. We were losing our light and hated to leave.... we placed lumber over our holes, covered them the best we could, but were just starting to find old bottles and glass....Me and Tom both have a long work day ahead tomorrow, but hope to get Fred and Laur and go back soon,....Here's a couple of pics of the stuff coming out of the upper layers ,....Dig pics to come!

E3E7D8150D404E21A95330FF1611C1D5.jpg

Attachments

• E3E7D8150D404E21A95330FF1611C1D5.jpg
    E3E7D8150D404E21A95330FF1611C1D5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 52

ruccello

Reaction score
Looks like that could be a good one Joe, can't wait to see what you guys pull out - good luck.

Richard

THE BADGER

Reaction score
good luck joe and crew i hope you hit a pit full of good stuff.cant wait to see what comes out good or bad. BADGER

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I am looking forward to going down the "privy road." Have been digging for almost 15 years with Joe and we never focused on the privies right here in this small city. Don't get me wrong, we have dug some great bottles. We probably hiked hundreds of miles over the years to very remote places and I think we'll do better right here in the city. Let's dig!!!!

PD

RedGinger

Reaction score
This evening, Joe, Fred, Tom and I went back to the privies. We didn't get to dig long, as it was getting dark. Joe is busy uploading pics, but I thought I would start with some descriptions of what was found.

Some opium vials
Some slicks
One BIG slick, that Joe gave to Fred
One St. Jakob's Oel with head missing
One hen laying egg
Two Children's Teacups
One Lockport Gargling Oil neck in an olive/emerald color
Fred found a few whiskeys. They seem to know he likes them [:)]
One 1918? penny (correct me if I am wrong on that date, Tom)
One very nice olive oil, that had a chip out of the bottom
One nice, unembossed hutch with a nice color

They guys will remember anything I forgot. We also have two videos coming up. I think we agreed, for the most part, that although privy digging is hard work, the rewards are worth it and it's a nice change from hiking through the woods for miles.

RedGinger

Reaction score
We were able to locate three sides of one woodliner, but had to call it a night.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu