Half post Pitkin style pitcher 1780-1810

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
"Sufferin' succotash!", sez I.

Crowing_pains-PD_Looney_Tunes-_sylvester_%2B_foghorn.png

It is then that the gaffer begins the twirling and the barber shop pole look effect takes hold.The line you see horizontily across the bottle is the line of demarkation of the second gather.The line is under the glass not on top of the swirls.The best way to describe the look is the bottle appears as if it is wearing a tee shirt.

Hey Steve,

So I've got this image of the gaffer, punty rod in hand, clamping the top of the blown vessel and twisting or twirling... Have I got that right so far?

Then this noodle makin image starts to come in
noodlemaking_100-1050.jpg
and I get all confused with the large arm movements...

Is Pitkinish pitcher makin done on a table at all? Where does the
101778760_5451265d37.jpg
come in? After the T-shirt is applied, right?

I'm guessing that it is then trimmed and reheated, and then the spout is formed, but I'm already lost somewhere back there in the barber poling. Does that light tunneling handle then get applied after another reheating, or is it appllied to the slowly cooling pitcher from a third gather?

Where's Captain Pitkin when you need him to explain hisself? Will you please stand in for him, Steve?

cur4c1.jpg

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi Chuck, Surface I just got back from pickin up my boy at the Ice Rink.You remember Willie Chuck The guy that gave me the useless botttles he turns 82 tommorrow.Boy this post has grown hasnt it.Surface thats some funny stuff.[:D][:D][:D]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Chuck you get me everytime,Another serious post crash and burned,hey do you remember this post from years ago here at the forum.Somebody asked what this device was and we all thought what it could be till I figured it out.Remember?This could compete with Surface huh[:D][:D]
23BED1DA32AB462B919CA6A7F923908D.jpg

Attachments

• 23BED1DA32AB462B919CA6A7F923908D.jpg
    23BED1DA32AB462B919CA6A7F923908D.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 122

Bunnee

Reaction score
[;)] It is absolutely lovely!!! and a most lucky find indeed!! OMG!! what I would give to find one like that!! love the color!! my favorite! ENJOY!!

Attachments

• 4A372CC7D3F546F0AA6FCBDEFE9BDB25.jpg
    4A372CC7D3F546F0AA6FCBDEFE9BDB25.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 131

surfaceone

Reaction score
Surface thats some funny stuff.

Hey Steve. Contrary to rumour, I wuz be'in completely serious. Maybe the images threw you off. I wuzn't, at all, goin along the Al Rokerish route, honest.

I especially liked your T-shirt analogy. I could dance to that.

109096491v3_225x225_Front.jpg

And the Bunny loves it. Welcome to this place Bunnee.

tumblr_kqf5ze8GHJ1qzsxbso1_500.jpg

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Steve....congrats for sneaking this item off of eBay. To tell the truth, if I'd seen it, I would have figured it for recent Mexican vintage and passed...as perhaps others did as well.....
Your gain.[:D]

div2roty

Reaction score
Steve....congrats for sneaking this item off of eBay. To tell the truth, if I'd seen it, I would have figured it for recent Mexican vintage and passed...as perhaps others did as well.....
Your gain.

same here. nice and congrats!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Matt div2roty,It was a great find. I see you like to break our New Jersey stones a bit[:D]Hey listen you wouldnt even have any Delaware bottles if it wasnt for all of the glass works located up here in Southern New Jersey and you cant tell me they were all made in Baltimore either![8D]
It funny how no major glass operations exited in Delaware with all of the available sand just like South Jersey.Congratulations on moving to DC.Are you a government contractor forced to relocate or just an upgrade from your current situation?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp