NEW EBAY SCAM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BARQS19

Reaction score
The newest ebay scam is "sellers" emailing you and almost cussing you out, the only way you can answer them is by logging in via clicking the link on the email and signing in. It is a fake however, here is a copy of the email.

Dear eBay member,

Hey are you going to buy the item from the auction that you won, why dont you answer to my emails, if you dont Respond Now I will contact ebay safeharbor and I will report you ! I am not a fool !

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
uoaction23

ilovebottles

Reaction score
Hi BARQS19,

I have had about 20 emails from PayPal to update my account. Not one of them was from them. I sent them all to PayPal. They wanted your full account numbers, PIN numbers, 3 digit security code on the back of your CC, bank routing numbers etc. I knew it was a BAD email from the start, so I sent them to PayPal as I received them. Not one of them they told me was from them.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi ALL

Any ideas on how to figure out Scams on EBAY? I had an account for 3 years, bought a few old bottles but never sold any items. Hadn't bought any items for a while then started getting these update account info msgs. I chose to ignore them figuring they were likely scams. Next thing I get is a notice my account has been cancelled. I opened another account now and bought a couple things now, its right back to the old verify your account information or we will cancel your account. If this is their normal practice I will probably never try to sell on EBAY or even bother with an account. Just my two cents worth.

YOP

ilovebottles

Reaction score
Hi,

When I get those I send them to ebay and ask them if its real. None of them have been so far.

walkingstick

Reaction score
If it says "Dear e-bay member" it is definitely a scam. Real email from e-bay or paypal will always have your real name on it.
For instance, if my real name was John Smith, all my email from e-bay or paypal would have John Smith on it.
Oh, my real name is not John Smith. I just used it as an example.

amblypygi

Reaction score
You can pretty much assume that any email from paypal or ebay that threatens to cancel your account is a scam. These should be forwarded with the complete header information to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com.

The safest thing is simply never follow a link in an email message. Anything that you need to know about your account is available by just logging in as you normally do, so just forward or delete any emails about your account and log in yourself to check if everything is ok. 99.9% of the time it will be fine and the email was a scam.

You shouldn't let these scams sour you on an ebay account though, once you figure out how to deal with them they are easy to avoid. For example, you could adopt the dinosaur approach that I use: PINE. I use an ancient email program that runs on the UNIX box that handles my email, I am completely immune to all email virus attacks. Attachments are a pain, but it's still worth the trouble if you ask me, I seldom get attachments I need anyway.

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Guys...

I got a similar one of those E-mails too... they really piss me off so I told them so!!!
I guess I'm not the suave, debonair, easy goin guy y"all think I am... [&o]

I told them where the bear shits in the buckweat... (No offense Ron!!!)[:eek:]

I gave them two words and I haven't heard back from them... Hmmmmmmmmmmm[8|]

Oh well... I was just trying to make new friends!!!!!![;)][;)]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Thats what I do. Send them a blazing little responce that will scorch their ears for a week.

Come to think of it, I haven't had one for a while.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
I got a ebay message from a bidder who was sniped by another bidder. This bidder cursed me out and charged me with artifically raising the price of the item. They told me they had turned me into ebay. And if I wanted to talk to them I could email them at their email address. I did not email them, I contacted safety harbor at ebay. They told me no such complaint had been reported. Furthermore, ebay safety harbor said, sometimes people cause problems in a attemp to get email addresses to use or sell for spam emails.

lmtae2

Reaction score
Glad you informed everyone of this, I get the others constantly. Now I will be on the watch. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown