Interesting website Bottles and artifacts SF,CA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Hey All,
Every now and again I check in with the Anthropology website run by Sonoma State University to see new posts and I found this one from dig sites they did in San Francisco south of Market Street.......looks like this was done a couple of years ago but they must have just posted the report. Hopefully the link I post will take you to the photos of all the bottle and artifacts they have collected...........as with most of us here, it just kills me to think these bottles will sit in boxes or shelves for years to come!!!

http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/west_approach/pdfs/B_Feature_Snapshots.pdf

If this link doesn't work, let me know and I will try it again.

Enjoy,
Doug

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
The link works for me. yea, i wish they were sitting on my shelves for years to come. [:D]

blade

Reaction score
The nice ones will probably end up in the archeologists private collection.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Yes like Privy Pit 1310(the ninth photo down from the top) loaded with early blue sodas would be a great start for a collection!! not to mention all the black glass ales.

I do like reading at the bottom of the photos to see the description of the who lived in the household.

Like for that Privy 1310 loaded with alcohol bottles was an unskilled Laborer from Ireland[:D]........go figure!

Doug

Dabeel

Reaction score
RE: 1880's Bottles and artifacts SF,CA

So I called the Anthropology Department and talked to one of the leads , and he is letting me come up to their storage center to look up close at these bottles from the photos on their site.(It took a bit of conversation on my part to make it happen)
Maybe while I'm there I can convince him to part with some of them.........well I can try can't I?[:D]

Here's the link again in case some of you missed it.

http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/west_approach/pdfs/B_Feature_Snapshots.pdf

Doug

Lordbud

Reaction score
RE: 1880's Bottles and artifacts SF,CA

Incredible, just amazing stuff. Try for sure! I mean it costs them to store their valuable bits of broken plates and rusty forks. Tell us what you find out and what you get to see. I bet there are some doozies in there.[:-]

Lordbud

Reaction score
Any word from Sonoma, Doug? I checked the site extensively. They did all kinds of privy digs and apparently saved everything but the nightsoil. The way things are going with funding for colleges being cut, you'd think they'd be happy to sell off a few assets to bring in that "much needed revenue"...[8|]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I am somewhat familiar with the archaeological lead on those digs, Adrian Pritz-Ellis. He and I do not see eye to eye, but he will admit that the preponderance of information regarding their bottle finds came from books and papers published by bottle collectors. He regards us collectors as little better than burglars, yet he is more than willing to use us as a "tool" in his research. There is no recognition of bottle collectors in these published findings. To do so would relegate us to a higher social station, something that cannot be allowed in the field of archaeology.

When they were digging where the new City Library stands I was sweating bullets that they would discover a privy that we had probed prior to their arrival on site. They had 2 weeks to complete their excavations and they missed that pit by ONE FOOT. That's as good as a mile, though, and we got the quality. His work was over, but he still hung around and was tormented by the bottle digger's scores. I loved it.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Hey Jason(Lordbud): I haven't been able to schedule the visit to the campus yet, but will let you know as soon as I go there.

Mike(Caldigr2): I loved that site, I was digging that one in the middle of the night because I feared being chased off during the weekend. I kind of felt bad when they had exposed the sides of the privy during the day and I released some bottles during the night.........I couldn't resist the C&K and C&R blue eagle soda bottles that I found within inches of the layer.

I guess when I visit their offices I should leave that fact out[:D]

Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu