Serious about Persian saddle flasks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
OK, lets start over, but this time we will be civil and respect the topic of the thread: to provide information about this somewhat mysterious bottle type.. not attack each other, no antagonistic wise cracks.. let's get the skinny on saddle flasks.. clean and neat, no?

epackage

Reaction score
I'm out Charlie, Marlena was nice enough to send me text and pic's, as for Mark, I'm out....best wishes my friend.....[;)]

TJSJHART

Reaction score
ok ?? i missed something....or .....flash backs again....

cyberdigger

Reaction score
We need a thread where the Persian saddle flasks can be discussed in a serious manner. I will not tolerate any mischief on this thread, and I will not name names Jim, but everyone better be on his or her best behaviour.

If these flasks are to be understood, you must contribute what you know, not what you don't know...

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Looks like there is already another thread that has arisen, not so much from the ashes but rather in spite of the ashes.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/%22CAMEL-JUG%3F%3F%3F%22/m-11648/tm.htm

FWIW, these things DO seem to crawl out of the woodwork in some quantity, don't they?

Jim G

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed.. well, let's see which thread survives.. if there can't be two...

saratogadriver

Reaction score
There was some stuff that arose in the now awol thread that was of some value.

Can someone re-post the add from the 70's? I don't have that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320588711181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Marlena aka blueglass1's ebay posting.

http://www.glasskisser.com/REPROS.html

glasskisser link

http://www.cosbert.com/bottles/collection2002/view_persian_flask100p1.html

A persian saddle flask from a collection, saying maybe persia, maybe austria.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/December2001/december_2001_questions_ask_digg.htm

What Digger Odell has to say on the subject.

I can't find the link now to the one museum that had a persian saddle flask listed on the web. They said persian, circa 1700, but also said their listing was incomplete on the bottle.

I've already asserted elsewhere, I've owned two since the 1970s, with one coming from a rural VT picker who did not try to tell me it was anything particular other than an old bottle.

Jim G

epackage

Reaction score
The ad from Old Bottles Magazine....

1202151934.jpg

potstone

Reaction score
Thanks Charles, I think being civil is the best approach. As for the Persian saddle flask I have often looked at them wondering myself about there history. As collectors of early glass and bottles, I think I would consider most collectors students of early glass. I enjoy studying early glass but I
don’t draw any lines on where the glass was manufactured. I have invested large amounts of money on reference material covering glass manufacture through out Europe and the Mediterranean areas. The one geographic area in which I need reference material on is the Middle Eastern region. With out that information I cannot and will not make any assumptions on the manufacture and age of the Persian saddle flask. We all know for the most part the earliest glass production was in Egypt and Mesopotamia.
The production was basically simple in technique but never the less it was made there approx. 3500 BC.
It was about 27 BC to 14 AD Syrian craftsman created glass blowing , a major advancement. Basically
What I am trying to say is the Middle Eastern region of the world has been producing blown glass
long before any other region. I am sure large quantities of a particular type and style vessel would have been produced through the centuries. Look how many Onion bottles are floating around. I also consider the climate in the Middle Eastern Region along with the nomadic life style of many natives. Wouldn't you think other then large leather pouches for carrying liquids, multiple glass containers would
have been needed for travel through the large arid regions? This is only speculation on my part and until I acquire the needed reference material that would be helpful I guess I will just keep wondering.
Greg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Thanks epackage. Sadly, I consider this the best evidence against these bottles having any great age or value. The story is just too hokey. This ad smacks of "we got a crate of these turkeys from turkey..."

Allegedly, Marlena aka blueglass1 has the bottle that was given to the Queen. I'd like to see a pick of that, with the museum documentation. THAT would be some real evidence.

Jim G

P.S. I can't imagine anyone going to DC to engage in a fight. By the time you get done fighting traffic, you'd just be too dang tuckered to fight. Drink maybe..., but not fight... LOL!

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky