Ebay dilemma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Recently, a bottle came up on ebay that would be one of the finest in my collection. It was gut check time. All week I pondered whether I should bid significant cash for a bottle in this economy. I decided that you have to pay when you get the chance (assuming you have the money). I won the auction. With shipping, the bottle cost me about $870. Some of you might think that is small change but it is a ton of cash for me. I already decided to shell out. Actually, I'm fairly excited about getting it. Then, after the auction closes, I receive a notice from ebay that the seller did not intend to sell the bottle without a reserve and the auction did not meet his reserve. Ebay sounds like they are willing to hear my side before acting. The auction was not a reserve type. It never showed reserve not met (or anything like it). I bid high to win.

Here's the dilemma. There is some concern that the seller was unhappy with the final price (and is only now claiming it was a reserve auction). However, it is possible (taking them at their word) that they didn't check their auction very well after listing it and never realized it wasn't a reserve auction. Should I force the seller to stick to the deal or should I tell him that despite the fact that I still want it, he's off the hook? What do you think? Thanks in advance . . .Bob

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think the seller should be bound to the agreement, but there's probably some scuzzoid way to get out of it. I would be pretty ticked about this!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Gee, that is quite a mess you have there......While in terms of honesty and good sport the seller, since it was not a reserve price auction,should sell the piece for the bid, and remember to be more careful in the future. I was in the same spot one time, as a seller. I had a script jug on eBay, and once it closed, for a somewhat low price (but more than I paid), I did receive several emails from bidders who wanted to bid on it, but for various reasons could not/did not. I thanked all for their concerns, and let it go to the winner of the auction, as I believe that was the right thing to do.
Can you force the seller to sell it? Maybe.......but unlikely. Remember, the seller still has it, and to get it away from the seller will be no easy trip.
If it was me, I would try to see if somehow it can be worked out, send a few emails back and forth, but do not hold your breath. Just might have to let this one go, it was not meant to be, and look at the money you saved............I have had to do this a few times over the years on eBay too.....

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Chuck and NYC.

Thanks for the support Chuck.
I think you have some good points NYC. Basically, the seller can say I'm keeping it, so there. I could post a negative but it doesn't change anything.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the right thing to do and I'm still not sure.

Here's some of my thinking. I try to put myself in the other guy's position and hold them to the standards I'd expect of myself. I'll admit that I am very careful when listing something. I don't want to mis-represent a bottle so I detail all damage for example. I think that I would have expected myself to notice the NO RESERVE problem well before the item closed. Afterwards, I would chalk it up to my own mistake. That's what I would do as a seller. I don't think that's what will happen, though.

In terms of value, here's the deal. I would have liked to have won it for less BUT I did bid more than the final closing price. Also, I would not have met the reserve amount that the seller later came up with. I think I bid somewhere around fair market value (but who knows what that exactly is).

GuntherHess

Reaction score
well, you really can't "force" them to sell it to you. Realistically what is likely to happen is they will say no, ebay will record a strike against them, and basically nothing will come out of it. Welcome to ebay.

I doubt you can even give them bad feedback since the auction was never really completed (but do it if you can).

An honest seller would follow through with the auction and take the lost. It was thier mistake (I doubt it was a mistake really, I think they are just jerkin you around).
I have made mistakes in my listings. I once listed an $80 item and accidently left a $5 buy it now on the listing. Someone hit buy it now before I could even revise the auction. I sold it for $5. That's honest business.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
In my first email response, the seller is telling me that he has all positive feedback, he has sold many items and this has never happened before. He's sorry and he is not trying to scam me.

I would still appreciate any and all input. I am considering asking him for his phone number and discussing it that way???

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I gotta say, I am dying to see the listing, but I totally understand if it stays un-posted.. might be for the best..?

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Actually, all they really have to do is say the item fell off the table and broke.We are very sorry, but the item is no longer for sale, our Black lab knocked it off the table and it shattered into a million pieces.So sorry.We really did intend on sending it to you, but we threw all the pieces away, ther were just too many, and they were dangerous.You can`t force them to send the item to you.I`ve seen sellers back out before.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I doubt you can even give them bad feedback since the auction was never really completed (but do it if you can).
Hey Gunth,
The item closed. I won the auction. Its a done deal in terms of a finished contract. I'm confident that I could post a negative right now. I really don't want to, though. I hate getting anything less than positive and I am reluctant to smear somebody's reputation. Still working this out in my head . . .

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Actually, all they really have to do is say the item fell off the table and broke
They could have but now it would look really fishy. I think I would post a negative if he said that.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis