Two great finds today...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CherylG

Reaction score
An old jar and this forum!! [;)]

A little history...
I have a small collection of old canning jars...about 20 or so. I am not interested in what they are worth, I just like them for their history and I just think they look neat, so I started collecting them.

We just broke ground for our new house a few weeks ago. The house on the lot behind us is what used to be the school for the black in our town, so it's pretty old. They say there was another building of some sort where we are building, but we haven't had time to do any research on it yet. My hubby has dug up lots of neat little bottles, plates, crocks and even an old police whistle. A lot of it is broken, but he has found a few things that were whole and today he found a mason jar! It was IN the bucket of the bobcat...I don't know how it kept from getting broken. Here's what it looks like...

It is clear glass, seams on both sides, it says Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858 (which I know is not all that uncommon) and it has a snowflake type design on the back and A 47 on the bottom.I'm not sure how to describe the shape. It's pretty much straight all the way up to where the bottom of the lid would rest. It does not round off or have a lip for the lid to sit on like my other jars. That is what makes me think it's old. Is this what they call a square shouldered jar?? Although I would say it doesn't really have a "shoulder". I wish I could post a pic, but my digital cam is broken. [:mad:]

Can anyone help me date this jar? If you need anymore details, just let m know.

Thanks!
Cheryl

edited to add...I forgot to say it is a quart jar.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
CHERYL...welcome to the Forum. Your jar is known as the Tudor Rose ...value about $25 from Redbook #7, may be more in a newer edition...circa 1890 or thereabouts. Nice find....

CherylG

Reaction score
Oh, goodie! I was hoping for pre 1900. I also found a bottle that is dated around 1890 and lots of what I believe are soda bottles with the funny tops...not sure what they're called. Several of them made right here in our hometown, so that's pretty cool. I bet there is a lot more out there, too. I wish I had the time to dig & sift through every inch of dirt before we plant grass, but hubby is doing that next week, so I am not going to have time. Oh well, maybe someday in the future I'll get a wild hair and decide to dig up the yard. [:D]

Thanks for the info, whiskeyman!!

Cheryl

whiskeyman

Reaction score
CHERYL...sounds like a treasure trove. Ifn I was you, I'd dig 'em all out now. Just put off sowing the grass for a while...[;)]
If ya like the whole lot of us could come there and help...
we'd get 'er done in no time...[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac