NH GLASSMAKERS SYMPOSIUM!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stardust

Reaction score
Beautiful, just beautiful. Sorry I had to miss the event. We had a very sad event in our NH family that made it impossible for me to go. When I thought I could get someone to bring me, a turn of events happened, that I'll keep to myself. So, I'm so happy to see your pics. Did any of the talks get podcast by any chance?
Sounds like it was a lot of fun for all. [;)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hell to each of you on this thread for your effort to bring an old bottle guy to the event. Many thanks for your efforts and coverage. There are questions brewing in my mind, and maybe I will PM them to each source person. Nice job. I would still like to get any information on the presentations that are available for reading. Thanks again RED Matthews.

nhglass

Reaction score
Stunning indeed. Many thanks Mike for sharing the pictures . [8D]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: earlyglass

C1ED1ACEA2CE498D94F37BC46379260F.jpg

Beautiful displays and great job to all who contributed...I love this pic!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Mike,

Thank you for posting the photos. Now, it not only sounds like a wonderful program, but lookz it too. Anyone wanna advance a tantalizing tidbit of knowledge they learned, observed, or contracted through osmosis?

christmas_colonel.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There was so much but the thing that stood out the most was window glass making. That was one area I guess I never thought to explore. I guess I always figured the just ran it through a "cloths wringer" type device.
Not even close!
There was what's called crown which is like spinning a pizza and cylinder, blowing a large tube and cutting it up the middle and flattering.
It got me looking for more. I read a real in depth article about the founding, expansion and day by day operation of the Champlain Glass Company In Burlington, VT which included a John Foster. I cant remember if it said he went on to or one of his sons worked in NH but it sounds likely.

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
I wish I could have gone, but sometimes there just isn`t enough time for everything. I wonder if some of the old time Connecticut glass collectors could do the same kind of thing? Someday I`ve always thought it would be great to be able to compare both N.H. and CT glass, some of which is almost identical, as to mold marks, etc. I know that Westford and Stoddard made a lot of similiar wares, and if a list could be made of the known wares from each and what mold marks and patterns were peculiar to each glass house, then that would be something! Especially on eBay where any amber bottle made from 1860 to 1880 is automatically called "Stoddard". Perhaps someday when I retire.......

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

There was so much but the thing that stood out the most was window glass making. That was one area I guess I never thought to explore. I guess I always figured the just ran it through a "cloths wringer" type device.
Not even close!
There was what's called crown which is like spinning a pizza and cylinder, blowing a large tube and cutting it up the middle and flattering.
It got me looking for more. I read a real in depth article about the founding, expansion and day by day operation of the Champlain Glass Company In Burlington, VT which included a John Foster. I cant remember if it said he went on to or one of his sons worked in NH but it sounds likely.

Eric,...Yes the window glass!...It's interesting, and I too, never thought much about it in context to old bottles, until Laur and I had a chance to tour the Corning Glass Museum, and there were some life size figures depicting window glass making...Just as you mentioned Eric,...just like a pizza,...Good comparison. Corning also had a "Bullseye" window displayed,...although not as cool as this example of Mike's....anyone know much about these? I find them very interesting and would love to have an example someday.

Bixby Bill,...good point about comparing the different wares.....That would make for a great book.

8957A9FD519944C1B1AAE65334E41EFB.jpg

Attachments

• 8957A9FD519944C1B1AAE65334E41EFB.jpg
    8957A9FD519944C1B1AAE65334E41EFB.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 56

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike for taking time to post those pictures.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp