J H W ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi yall, got this bottle I need help with. It's 8" tall. Base is 3 1/8" diameter. Smooth base, Very dark olive green. (almost black glass). BIG BOLD embossed JHW. Any and all info would be appreciated. What type of mold is this? I have never seen a top like this. Thanks, Kelley

Sq47259.jpg

Attachments

• Sq47259.jpg
    Sq47259.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 83

IRISH

Reaction score
It looks like some sort of dispensing chemist type bottle to me, that ring around the bottle may well be a "fill to" line.
It's probably just a normal two part metal hinge mould made bottle, nice looking bottle.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Irish. I see no vertical seams at all. Could this be a dipped mould and if so, would the "fill to" line be applied later? Kelley

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Kelley . . .

With the embossing on the body, your bottle could not be blown in a dip mold; the embossment would be wiped upon withdrawal from a dip mold. It was blown in a two or three-piece mold if it is a hand-finished bottle.

The shoulder ring could be a fill-to line, as Irish suggests. Or maybe it is for drip control to keep that last drop from slipping down the outside of the bottle to stain or burn fingers.

John Wyeth and Brother was founded in 1860. I don't know if he used a middle name, or if he had a son who tried to spin off a JHW line. Lots of possibilities, I suppose. Interesting bottle!

---------------Harry Pristis

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I see what you mean about it not being able to be a dipped mould now, but for the life of me, I can't see any seams. None on the base either. I called it smooth base but it may be a ground Pontil. I'll post a pic of the base and hope it turns out well enough to see. As for a drip guard, thats an interesting thought. Thanks Harry

Xv65223.jpg

Attachments

• Xv65223.jpg
    Xv65223.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 86

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora