Bottle found in Febuary

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oz-riley

Reaction score
Hi,
here is a story on my website for a great dig we had in Aussie land.
Enjoy.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/oz-riley/digs.HTML#warndig

Chris

oz-riley

Reaction score
Most of the bottles pictured date from 1880' s to about 1920, the section of the river we were in was redirected in 1864 to provide water to a large factory so there would not be any bottles older than that there.
There are three town tips (dumps) in the main town, most of the early buildings are made from sandstone and the sandstone quarries when abandoned were used as the town tips, two are over 40 feet deep with buildings built over the top and one is in the sand dunes on the beach which has been extensivly dug over the last 30 years.
There would be dunny holes (privies) on the town house blocks and I have dug bottles there in the past.
Yes we have very strong Laws here under the the Heritage Act 1995, if it is over fifty years old and in the ground we have to leave it there.
Although the rivers are a grey area and we have been left alone so far..

Thanks
Chris

IRISH

Reaction score
hey Lip~Ca I like that idea [:D]
the problem we have here is like the metal detectorist' s in the UK have, a small percent of arki' s want it all and they want it locked away out of the public eye.
why I don' t know and they don' t seem to have a good answer .

oz-riley

Reaction score
I like you line of thinking,
although the arcies here really like to protect the dunny holes as they beleive it is like a small Time Capsule of the people that lived there.
the problem is that they don' t want anyone touching them, but they have no power to stop property development, this means if a house comes down and larger building is to be built the arkies are happy to let the whole site be destroyed rather than have bottle diggers dig the site before the development starts. Weird but true, last year over a 12 month period Heratige Victoria only had one arcalogical site dug.
I do need to clarify that these Laws are for Victoria, I know N.S.W has a Heratige Act as well but I don' t know about other states.
It is not really enforced yet but I am sure they will get some digger one day and use them as an example.
Thanks
Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis