PATERSON Holy Grail makes a quick exit......

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Well I was up in the air about going to Bethlehem PA. looking for Paterson NJ bottles but decided to go early and see what was what, I saw a couple of stoneware jugs but not much in the way of bottles until I found a beautiful Cobalt Blue William S. Kinch & Co. After seeing what the sellers bottom line was I noticed a Teal Green beauty to my left, "could it be" I thought to myself....When I picked it up and saw the ARCHDEACON'S MINERAL WATERS PATTERSON N.J. embossing I just about fainted, it was a perfect example and only the second I have ever seen in person and the 4th example I know of that's fully intact.

I then noticed the sticker on the back with 875 on it and knew it wasn't $8.75, since I wanted both the Kinch and this I figured I would haggle for the pair as one price. The Kinch had $350 on it and I told the seller to think about what would be fair and I would be back, figuring how many people could be 90 miles from my home looking for Paterson bottles. I made my way down one aisle before stopping back and making an offer of $900 for both bottles, the seller thought about for 2 or 3 minutes before telling me it was too early to sell them for that price, so I told him I would stop back on my way out. With 5 or 6 aisles left how long could I take to get back to him I figured.

There were alot of hutches and blobs to sort thru and a few flasks but I always had those 2 bottles in my head, and everytime I looked there were 3 or 4 people at his table even though he only had about a dozen bottles total on it. He didn't have any cheap common bottles but he was surely getting alot of attention from what seemed like every person who entered the room. I had arrived right at 9am but the early birds had accsess at 7:30 so I know alot of folks had been to his table before me and that gave me hope that very few Paterson people would be at the show. I was very surprised my Paterson bottle guru had skipped selling at this show as well but he must have figured why travel 90 miles to sell bottles to people most likely not interested in your wares, plus he must have sold alot at the Oakland Show last month.

I traveled the show scanning for Paterson bottles but like I said they were few and far between, it seemed like forever but I was thru looking and happily for the seller the ARCHDEACON & KINCH bottles were gone by 9:40. The ARCHDEACON is dated 1850 and is the only Iron Pontil soda/mineral water produced in Paterson so owning one is a very special thing. The last one I saw sell on e-bay was 4 years ago before I started collecting bottles, it had a 3 inch long crack down it's back and sold for $1580.00, and that really was my first lesson in what bottles from my area might be worth.....It was truely a Great Lesson to learn.....Did anyone else go to the show and pick anything up?

Thanx,
Jim

epackage

Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, happily for the seller AND ME........here is Thee Holy Grail and only IP soda/mineral water from this town......

1202151970-1.jpg

1202151974.jpg

1202151972-2.jpg

1202151976-1.jpg

1202151979-1.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Jim, nice story! Sorry you didn't come home with them, though. Next time.. [;)] I didn't get there till almost 11:00 and didn't see you.. Greg was there, finally met him.. a good guy! Also finally got to meet Pyshodoodle Kate, who gifted me a pair of paint bottles[:)][:)] ..thank you Kate!!
I bought a couple odd pieces, nothing spectacular.. it was a pretty high end show for my standards.. lots of great stuff.. and more colored squats than you can shake a probing rod at!!

epackage

Reaction score
I did come home with them Charlie, the pic's were taken on the window sill next to my desk !!!!!! there are alot of colored PA squats for sure, would make a great window display if I lived there....

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Here's a few Joisey boyz raisin hell in Pensy.. [;)] Me, Gary Milkglassbottles, and Greg Bottle34nut..

09892BEF1B1C4540B3E9E0B43C22CB0C.jpg

Attachments

• 09892BEF1B1C4540B3E9E0B43C22CB0C.jpg
    09892BEF1B1C4540B3E9E0B43C22CB0C.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 63

bottle34nut

Reaction score
a guy out out in the parking lot sold me an entire case of ARCHDEACON'S MINERAL WATERS PATTERSON N.J. bottles for $25. did i do good? just kidding nice finds. no i bought nothing, just went for a nice sunday ride with the rest of the idiots doing 80mph. i had fun and met charlie and kate, aka cyberdigger and psychodoodle. greg

epackage

Reaction score
I was on the fence myself Greg and there wasn't really anything except a few jugs and the 2 bottles I got, if they hadn't been there it really would have sucked for me to be honest.....After missing Oakland I really needed to see some bottles though...[8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi