"America extra dry" bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tcrackly

Reaction score
this was found under the floorboards of my mother's house in New England. the house dates back to 1900(?). the greenish bottle is just under 2" tall. It is 3/8" wide with a strange telescoping pin like device that comes out of the cap when turned. the inner workings appear to be brass. The cap and neck itself looks like pewter. the yellow label reads, " A. Werner & Co., 'America extra dry'" My husband thinks it's an early chemical match lighter. I think it might be a perfume applicator. Any ideas?

T.C.

Db84625.jpg

Attachments

• Db84625.jpg
    Db84625.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 62

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Dont know yet what it is but it looks like a small champagne bottle. "Extra Dry" is a term that is used to describe champagne.

Is it full of something?

Regards
BA

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I'm guessing some kind of alcohol. The way you described the lid sounds kind of like what they have in the bars today. Like a little pour spout to fill shot glasses maybe? Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
I used to work at a winery and my first thought when I saw this was that it was a champagne bottle with a unique method of keeping it from popping open while stored.

OK, I just checked on something and found a pic of an old trading card plus the description: "A. Werner & Co.. Extra Dry Champagne."

Wu60051.gif

Attachments

• Wu60051.gif
    Wu60051.gif
    158.6 KB · Views: 63

tcrackly

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick input. Check the dimensions. It's only 2" tall! It couldn't hold enough alcohol for anyone's pleasure. It's some kind of dispenser, yes, but for a very small quantity. I'm guessing it could have held, maybe, 1/2 of a teaspoon. And like I noted ,it was under the floorboards of an early 20th century house. I'm guessing a time frame of 1900 to 1945 when my parents bought the house. Any and all guesses as to it's nature and ti's value are welcomed.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Maybe it's like the bottles of alcohol you get at the mini bars in the hotels. [:D]

tcrackly

Reaction score
Here is a scan of the inner workings. they appear to be brass. Before we handled it quite so much the inner pin telscoped out as the top was turned.

T.C.

tcrackly

Reaction score
The pin at the end is solid, much like a blunt hat pin. I figure it either dispensed droplets of something(i.e. perfume, chemicals) or it was a little flag, perhaps, like a novelty commerative.

T.C.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski