A sudden burst of conscience

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Funny what makes a person turn themselves in . . .

(Advance warning; This is a bit long),

Let me back up a bit. I arrive at work and a neighbor asks me to come outside. Overnight, someone has driven up over about five feet of sidewalk and smashed into the side of our building. Several boards of siding have been destroyed. You can tell the direction that the car was travelling by the damage to the boards. (It was eastboubnd). There is also a huge pile of glass on the sidewalk.

There are trees planted by the city boarding the road along the sidewalk. A very large one would have protected our building from an east-bound vehicle. So, we conjecture that the car may have been taking a U-turn and ran up on the sidewalk. Why would he / she have hit the building? It was probably bar time and the driver was likely drunk. They did not leave any way of contacting them.

Upon further inspection, we realize that the car continued eastbound driving ON TOP of the sidewalk. They came up to a newly planted tree (maybe about four inches in diameter). You can see the spot where the side-view mirror hit the tree and removed the bark. Because it was a tight spot between the building and the tree, the side view mirror first squished into the driver's side window and then it shattered. Then the whole plastic housing (of the side mirror) feel off.

I looked carefully through the tempered glass debris pile (of the window) and I see a little square patch of glass stuck together. It was a sticker that had been on the window. I pick it up and notice that it is the overnight parking permit that you must display on the dirver's side window to overnight park on the street. Although it is not from the exact suburb that I am in, I think this might lead somewhere. Instead of calling our police department, I call the one where the parking permit was issued. I ask, "Do those little numbers at the bottom of the permit specifiy which vehicle the permit was placed upon?" She says, "Yes. Every car has a different number." I thanked her and told her that an officer from my suburb would be in contact with her shortly.

I called the police. Next I gave him the sticker and he went to check out the permit. He found the address of the person who bought the permit. He drove to the house and knocked on the door. No answer. Then he left a card in the door telling the person that they needed to contact his department. An hour later, the resident has a sudden burst of conscience. He turns himself in.

Stardust

Reaction score
Good for you. I hate it when people just up and leave the an accident. [;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Bob.. I'm impressed with your detective work on this case and I congratulate you! Do doubt the piece of evidence you found would have been overlooked by the civil servants who are paid to do exactly this.. you are an asset to humankind! [:)]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks to Div2, E, Star, and Chuck for your replies. Part of the reason he drove away paid off. He mananged to sober up before the police caught up to him. However, I'm sure he thought he was in the clear when he parked his car in the garage and went to bed. Nobody reported it, he was looking good. Thanks to a little sticker, justice is done.

The officer told me that he was issued a municipal ordinance violation for leaving the scene of an accident. (This is non-criminal, but he will have to pay fines). Also, his insurance company contacted us and it sounds like they will pay for repairs. Now I just gotta get estimates and take some pictures. It all ends well enough, I guess . . .

rockbot

Reaction score
Drinking and driving... some people just don't get it. We got our own BOB P.I. [:D][:D]

Good work!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Rocky. It did feel good to pin it right to the exact vehicle in two minutes. Maybe they'll have learned their lesson and will stop risking other people's lives. (We can hope).

rockbot

Reaction score
My buddy was killed by a drunk driver when we were 19, so I don't take to kindly to drunk drivers.
You never know what our little actions can do. You may have saved a life down the road!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Sorry about your buddy. It must have been aweful to lose someone at such a young age for stupidity.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis