Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with pottery jug/bottle identification

I've dug a couple of these in San Francisco. They are 5" tall, and have a small spout for pouring. I'm guessing Sake, as they don't look like other American pottery. I have several Sake cups from the same region. Some kind of oil is my other guess. There are no markings, as it appears to be very utilitarian. The stopper is wood, and the original sealant, something whitish, is still present on the stopper and the spout. The age of bottles in the area run from mid 1800's to late 1800's. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8409E708BFD3456EA760D5F21EBC6F3B.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master cowseatmaize's Avatar

RE: Help with pottery jug/bottle identification

The unfinished glaze at the bottom and the white clay may be identifiable to to someone. 5" makes it not very utilitarian except a junk lamp. If the inside isn't glazed it's just decorative.
    Your digs are nice and clean, I wish I could find them that way

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E09BC6D1C7F940FA98C3F9D378B5323E.jpg  

Member New Bottler

I recall correctly, they are chinese but I don't remember what they were used for.

Senior Member Bottle Finder

Chinese soya sauce pot.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Any idea of the value?

Senior Member Bottle Master

I've heard these referred to as "Tiger Whiskey" jugs and I am sure they are Chinese. I believe it is correct that some did contain Soy Sauce. They are common and worth $5 - $10. Not much interest in them. I have seen similar pieces marked: "Federal Law Forbids .......... etc." I think those did not have a spout and now that I think about it the Tiger Whiskey jugs may not have had the spout.

Hey Jim,

I think you may find that the Tiger Whiskies are more often shaped like this:

Oops, Jim,

I zigged when I shoulda zagged. A smaller image is From.

I think Dave/canada has got it eggs ackley. Depends on one's spelling though. Is it soy, shoyu, soya, or something completely different. I certainly enjoyed some last night at Half Price Sushi night, and the little decorative soy sauce dispensers even resembled the pot in form, despite it being a quasi Japanese establishment.

Henry's looks like a remarkably clean one. Hey Henry, welcome to this place. Please do show us some more great stuff.

The bottle is definitely for Soy Sauce and are usually found in the 1870- 1890 period. They are relatively common here in Australia and bring approx $20-$25.

You guys are correct. Please cut me some slack, I'm OLD. Brain Fart