Market for Old 1gal cans?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
I WAS SHOWN A PILE OF OLD BOTTLES AND OIL CANS A FEW YEARS AGO IN CANTON, NY. IT WAS SAD SEEING DOZENS AND DOZENS OF RUSTY DENTED OLD CANS OF DIFFERENT SIZES EVEN THOUGH YOU COULD STILL READ THEM AND KNOWING WHAT THEY WOULD BE WORTH IF IN ALOT BETTER CONDITION. IT WAS OBVIOUSLY A FARMERS OLD DUMPING GROUND.

L C - ARE YOUR TWO MOBIL CANS 5 QUARTS?
YOUR EMPIRE STATE 2-GALLON IS WORTH ABOUT $40-50. I ONLY SEE ONE SIDE, SO HARD FOR ME TO JUDGE.

WALKING 5 MINS FROM MY HOUSE YESTERDAY ABOUT 30' FROM THE EDGE OF A DESOLATE BUT USED ROAD, I FOUND AN F&W(?) SCHAEFFER BEER BOTTLE EMBOSSED AT THE BASE OF A TREE. LOOKS AS IF THE ONLY THING MISSING WAS A PAPER LABEL. ABOUT 10 MINUTES LATER WHERE THE SAME ROAD CROSSES THE R/R TRACKS I SAW A SMALL OLD FOUNDATION AND STICKING OUT OF THE LEAVES WAS THIS....

A53D4302BC8D4D5D869F5CA83EBF11E6.jpg

NOT TOO SHABBY FOR SITTING OUTSIDE PROBABLY 45+ YEARS. THE OTHER SIDE HOWEVER IS COMPLETELY BLANK. THE CAN IS MADE OF ALUMINUM.

IRON MOUNTAIN, YOUR CAN HAS LITTLE VALUE. MAYBE ON A SHELF WAY UP HIGH IT WOULD LOOK GOOD AS OPPOSED TO TOSSING IT.

Attachments

• A53D4302BC8D4D5D869F5CA83EBF11E6.jpg
    A53D4302BC8D4D5D869F5CA83EBF11E6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 56

ironmountain

Reaction score
yah...I was going to just cut the face off, clean it up and nail it up in the garage...The wife's family farm is where I'm digging/hunting/detecting etc...it is now our hunting camp.....has been around since 1800's and has had many hunters/farmers/loggers living there, camping there and trudging through there...i just started digging there a cpl wks before winter so i've got years left...and there is everything there...jars,bottles,cans,food jars, old vehicles, old vehicle parts, tons of fridge/stove etc scrap..old wood burning enamel stoves...a 1966 thunderbird probably in 60-70% shape (21k miles, all original with original replacement parts in the trunk , original paint ..runs)that im going to sell for father in law...so as my father in law says "im just entering my sanford and son phase"...

LC

Reaction score
They are both five quart cans Larry .

ironmountain
Over the years I found many cans that were in really bad shape . If they had a good side , I would as you say , cut it out and go to the shop and make a wood frame for it and hang it up or sell it . Did quite a few of them that way , they look pretty good when framed .

Wangan

Reaction score
HemiHampton has done wonders refurbishing beer cans with electrolosis.That one is kind of bent up but it would make a good practice can.Something to think on anyway.

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
LOUIS, THE MOBIL SPECIAL 5 QUART IS NICE @ $30-50, THE GARGOYLE IS OLDER AND ABOUT THE SAME VALUE BASED ON CONDITIONS I AM SEEING.

LC

Reaction score
Thanks Larry , back when the gas and oil was really hot in the eighties , I turned down 50 bucks for the Gargoyle can ! Guess I should have took it . No matter though , when I had my auction , I sold the biggest part of my collection off . Down to around 125 cans and a Sohio double side post sign , and a couple of Texaco pump signs .

I think Hemi does a heck of a job with the cans . He is great at straightening out dents as well ..

ironmountain

Reaction score
Thanx LC and Wangan. I've used electrolysis for coroded stuff I've found metal detecting...I've also found that Barkeeper's Friend works very well on surface rust... BKF and some water, make paste, let sit for awhile, lightly scrub with an old soft toothbrush until it all comes off.....I had found a Hamm's flat top and used this method and now the rim is pretty clean... I just hate the fact that they get 4 feet of snow everyday up there (Houghton,MI)...spring comes I'm going to be a digging/detecting/scrapping fool.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp