OBSCURE / LITTLE KNOWN ACL & DECO SODA BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For Christmas I received Allan Petretti's Soda Pop book. In the back of the book are several pages listing thousands of different soda brands. The author claims it is only a fraction of the thousands upon thousands of brand names that have been produced over the years and that the list is by no means complete.

I thought it would be fun and interesting to see how many of the more obscure and little known bottles we could come up with here in the way of PHOTOS of those rare and possibly one-of-few brands.

So if you have a bottle (preferably ACL & DECO ) in your collection that you think may be one of these odd-ball brands and feel that no one else in the world has ever seen it, please share it with the rest of us google-eyed collectors. And share it even if your not sure whether its obsure or not. The object here is to knock each other's socks off with some of the weirdest soda bottles the world has ever seen ... or "not" seen.

Below is a sampling of the brand names from the book. All of which I have never heard of myself and don't know if they are acl's, deco's or what. Some may even be relatively recent. However, the author of the book states that no brand name that he listed is later than about 1979. So that's good enough and old enough for me!

Here's a sampling of some of the weirder brand names ... But yours can be anything you want.

I hope this little experiment of mine produces some fun and interesting bottles.

Thanks a lot

SODAPOPBOB

{Spelled out exactly the way they appear in the book}

Ak-Zp, Baas, Cloud, Fo-For, Goblin, Hot Rock, Igo, Jingo, Krinkly-Kola, Lucky Boy, Minck, No Bo, Pic-A-Pop, Quizz, Robo, Seewee, Thirs-Tamer, Uic, Vag, Whale, X-Pert, Yogi, Za-Rex.

The only brand I have in my collection that I feel even comes close to being obscure is this Bum's Root Beer from Los Angeles, California - 1941 (I love the cigar stub in his mouth).

2A6AF12CA7D641FBAB6A552B3CC76605.jpg

Attachments

• 2A6AF12CA7D641FBAB6A552B3CC76605.jpg
    2A6AF12CA7D641FBAB6A552B3CC76605.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 174

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Hey Bob, I don't have any, nor have I heard of any of those bottles. I was wondering if it had Plantation Punch listed in the book? I still haven't found anymore info on it...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Anthonicia ~

There is a listing for "Plantation" but not for "Plantation Punch." Nor are there photos of anything from either brand that I could find. But we know it existed because of your dad's recollection, plus the bottle cap we've seen. So I really don't know what to tell you unless "Plantation" is the actual brand name and that punch was just one of their many different flavors. ??? (I will keep my eyes peeled).

I seriously doubt that many of the obscure bottles will turn up, but I thought it would be interesting to see how many were out there amongst us. No doubt many of them had a short life span, thus the fact we have never heard of a lot of them. But you just never know.

Here is a sample page from the book showing three of the brands that I personally have never heard of. I especially like "Sir Cola-Nut" of the Wynola brand from the 1950s. The 4% brand is a total mystery. 4% of what? Lol

SPBOB

44D5D1F6F7A34967BB5AAF0DC1EF9622.jpg

Attachments

• 44D5D1F6F7A34967BB5AAF0DC1EF9622.jpg
    44D5D1F6F7A34967BB5AAF0DC1EF9622.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 177

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've got a few, including the Minck Bros. one you mentioned. I'm assuming these are worth nothing due to their bad condition, but I feel I must post them anyway. I've found a lot of bottles in this place that are from the New York/Tri-State area, so if I go back, maybe I could take a list of bottles to look for.

minck.jpg

minckback.jpg

hoffmanacl.jpg

calvert.jpg

calvertback.jpg

cityclub.jpg

cityclubback.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Wheelah23 ~

I just now discovered that you replied to this thread. I have been getting so many e-mail notifications lately (mostly from the two word game) that it's hard to keep track of things. But thanks for stopping by and sharing your most interesting bottles. By the way ... if I had a dump that was producing the type of bottles you've been finding, I wouldn't bother with a list right now. I'd "keep 'em all!" I haven't been able to do much bottle hunting lately and even finding something with worn off labels would be a huge plus as opposed to just sitting here waiting for the rain to stop. (8 inches in five days - which is like Noah's flood to us southern California residents).

And while I'm here, I would like to briefly touch on something I have been wondering about lately. Which is ... what is it that makes one obscure brand more popular than another? If you scroll through e-bay like I often do you will see there are tons of odd-ball brands listed, and that they just sit there as a "Buy It Now" for $4.99 and nobody pays the least bit of attention to it. But then you take a brand like "Birdie" (which I personally feel is another off-brand) and yet it sells for a ton of money. I realize that rarity does no necessarily mean high demand, but it still boggles me as to what actually dictates the demand for some brands and not others.

In answer to my own question, I suppose it has a lot to do with location - location - location. The trend these days (especially with advanced collectors) seems to be to collect brands from one's particular area or state. I personally haven't specialized along these lines, but totally understand the merit and popularity involved with it.

Wouldn't it be cool if a person could predict the market as to what might be in high demand in the future and then snatch up a lot of those bottles now while they can still be had for pennies? But one thing along these lines that seems to be fairly constant, and that is that "picture labels" ... birds - people - animals - landscapes - etc; etc; always seem to hold their own in the popularity bracket. So if you were to put a list together of some kind, I would focus on these types of labels.

Thanks again,

SPBOB

yacorie

Reaction score
I saw a seewee chocolate flavored drink in a shop yesterday but didn’t buy it. Maybe I should have

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora