Lovers Leap Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Forest Wanderer

Reaction score
I found a green bottle. It says Lover Leap Co. on the side of it. It also says Contents 6 1/2 FL OZ.

Near the bottom it says VARSITY Lynn Mass and Registered U.S. PAT OFF.

On the underside of the bottle it says 28 S.

That is all of the writing that is on the bottle.

It is 6 1/2 to 7 inches tall and has thick glass.

Here is a picture
IMG_0429.jpg

Anyone have some information on this bottle?

Thank You,
Parker

Forest Wanderer

Reaction score
Here is a link to another forum i posted it on.

http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community/showthread.php?t=48688

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to ABN, Parker!
I checked the link to the other forum.. somebody said they think it's from the 1800's.. that is definitely NOT the case, it's from the 1950's-60's.. it's a soda bottle which had a paper label originally, and it's not worth much.. no joy in telling you this.. it should rinse out nice!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't recall Lovers Leap by name buy Varsity had a popular Ginger Ale sold at the A&P in Mass back into the 60's or 70's that I remember. A&P is gone but Varsity may be around still for all I know.
28 could be a year but I don't see a maker. It could be something of a correction to this. http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html
Look at 16S under S. States to 23 but that may be the correction.

delphinis

Reaction score
The A&P is still around but only in Conneticut, New York and New Jersey. Was just looking at their website to see if they were still around. I remember , as a kid, there used to be one in Gloucester, Mass which is my hometown. I have a embossed BIM lover's leap crown top that I found . Unfortunately it has a good size chip taken out of the lip. The embossing says "Lover's leap spring water co. Lynn, mass"

Anthony

Forest Wanderer

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback

I find alot of bottles when i am hiking and this is the only one i havn't been able to find information about. I could only find two other bottles (google) that had lover leap co on them.

If i figured if they were mass produced there would be a lot more info.

Thanks again

surfaceone

Reaction score
Welcome to A-BN, Parker.

Thanks for bringing this example of the Leaping Lovers. Ya gonna clean it up and put it on your shelf? Were I you, I'd ask the mods to move this to the Soda Section. I think you might get more feedback there.

T'was a label only Pale Dry Ginger Ale. Recently, at that electronic auction place two beautifully labeled sodas Failed to sell for $6.00 starting bid.

The Varsity, on the left, was "North Shore's Favorite," made with the finest selected Ginger well ripened. The Choicest of ingredients and electro-sterilezed water. Smooth and refreshing. Aids digestion." "Lovers' Leap Co.. Lynn and Salem"

I'm not adept enough to purloin a picture of the label from that listing, alas. There was another less colorful example, that also failed to sell with too high a starting bid, I fear.

"Kelley P. Ham, proprietor of Lovers Leap Bottling Co." and was an 1896 graduate of The Lynn English High School.

The earliest reference I could find to the company was in the http://www.lynnhistory.com/Directories/1917/1917Lit-Ly.html The listing was, "Lover's Leap Co (Kelley P Ham) 17-21 Forest"

Lovers' Leap was also signatory to a petition in 1917, presented by the Eastern Soda Bottlers Association to protest a War Revenue Bill in Congress that would have established many new Taxes on gas, syrup, etc. to finance America's entrance into the First War.

They were listed as, "Lover’s Leap Co 140 Linwood inc Mass ’20 Kelley P Ham pres-treas Harry W Lecolst sec bottlers carbonated beverages" in the 1934 Lynn Directory.

I did fand this listing for a possible ACL version, "VARSITY GINGER ALE 08 OZ. RED AND WHITE DK. GREEN W/EMB. 08 1/2 1950 LOVER'S LEAP CO. LYNN MASS. "VARSITY PALE DRY GINGER ALE" (B) 8.9
# 65080890: ' Thanks to Christopher Weide.

Here's a neighbor boy's reminiscence, "During the 1940s, we lived across from the bottling plant. From timt
to time a tanker truck would come to deliver liquid sugar. If we
neighborhood kids would show up with a small container while they were
pumping the sugar, they would give each of us some. It was sure
good. I'm sure it wasn't good for us, but who knew about those kinds
of things then?

Don" From.

ladykillers.gif

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members