What's the best way to photograph a bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_girl

Reaction score
I want to photograph my bottles with the embossing, because some of them are rare and some are just cool. I tried holding them near a light, but only got a bright glare. I tried outside, but got either too bright or too dark pics. I use digital camera, and sometimes the pics are great, but most of them lack the embossed detail. Any suggestions?

Bottle Girl

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Bottlegirl, I also just started attempting to take pics of my bottles, with not so great results! I think Kaw is being modest, take a look at the pictures he posted today. I've been experimenting with a homemade light box along with the digital camera. Just keep trying different angles, light sources and experiment!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi all
I can recall reading about photographing gold as it also can be quite difficult to get good pics. I remember a round florescent tube was suggested as this distributes the light evenly around the subject to be snapped. This might be one for you Norm, he he, just a round tube on top and one on the bottom, place the bottle on a stand just above the level of the bottom fluro, it might work!! You might be able to mass produce these, put a patent on it and then you can come visit us down under when you sell multitudes of them. I have drawn you a pic just to get the idea lol.
Regards Kim

Mk27080.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27080.jpg
    Mk27080.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 155

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Kim, It just so happens that I'm halfway there, with the light whateveryou drew thingamagob. lol The pics I posted of the CRUDE BLOB TOP (hint, hint) was lighted with a homemade lightontheboxheiser. I constucted a wooden base box for a 12'' ceiling florescent, installed a switch and volia! a light box. I left the cover over the bulb when I took the pics, I'll try it without next time. I'll take you up on the offer of the 'Chump' Champion Pickle, what would you like for it in return? Don't say gold, it's buried way too deep in our western maine mtns. to dig. lol I can send you one of my locals + return post or whatever, let me know before you take off for the outback!

Kim

Reaction score
Hey Norm
Just email me your full address and I will send the bottle off to you. I don't think there is any particular bottle that I want/need thanks very much. I will hear from you soon.
regards Kim

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim thanks, but do expect a token of my yank hospitality in return. By the way, why does that bottle in your technical illustration have a 'halo'? Don't worry, we won't send a bottle, you clearly have more of those than you know what to do with! lol

oz-riley

Reaction score
To get good pictures of bottle embossing you need to back light the bottle, this can be done using a professional back light available from most photo shops (expensive) or you can use natural light.
I have found overcast days are best and place the bottle in front of a well lite window, have the light on in the room also. I have found aqua and clear glass photograph better this way if you have amber or dark green it is better to take the pic on an angle to highlight the embossing.
I have a few examples below.
Thanks
Chris

Ca80990.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80990.jpg
    Ca80990.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 177

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
"Just when I was getting all technical" Lol. Nothing beats the All Natural.
The "halo" is just a reflection of myself,[:D] he he!!
I am going to try my hand at bottle digging today. I am dragging my hubbard out (with an infected foot and all) to see what can be found. I will soon let you know if I find something/anything.
Regards Kim

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu