Weird Collar (Slave)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I won an auction for a early Wilson, NC Pepsi on EBay and looked at the other items the guys had for sale and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160533087218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_11506wt_1602

Yes, it's a slave collar. It's barbaric when u think how they would put a chain through the loop and drag those poor souls off to the plantations. Just like a dog collar.

11C06CFED1FB4A6E9EF2AD14616E3BB1.jpg

Attachments

• 11C06CFED1FB4A6E9EF2AD14616E3BB1.jpg
    11C06CFED1FB4A6E9EF2AD14616E3BB1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 67

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I dunno.. I'm no expert, but it looks like a dog collar to me.

Plumbata

Reaction score
It is a dog collar, probably for a guard dog or something similar. 6 inch diameter is well within reason for some thick-necked, powerful and large breeds. The collars needed to be tall/thick to prevent injury from attacking dogs.

I would imagine that a slave collar would be all-metal, to prevent cutting through the leather with metal, glass, or something else, or made with leather but using more simple, inexpensive stamped versus engraved metal parts. It would probably have a date stamped on it too, right?

Plumbata

Reaction score
Also, look at that machine stitching, I doubt that c. 1850 machines could handle that thickness and toughness of leather economically, could they?

Also, those metal stud things are conveniently placed over where the jugular would be. Why would that be necessary on a human? It certainly would mess up an attacking dog's mojo though.

A case of wishful thinking methinks.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Interesting. I was going by what the guy selling it said. Guess that's my first mistake!
I would lean towards a dog collar too, but the only thing that makes me think otherwise is the name "O.J"? The leather is rather thick too like you mentioned above. You don't see something like this everyday though, even if it is a dog collar.

Guess OJ could be the owner of the dog's name? Batting 0 for 4 in winter time.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
they most interesting thing is the padlock. I noticed that early french dog collars had locks too. There must have been some dog theft in the cities? weird.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu