Cleaning Paper Labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chosi

Reaction score
Is there a good, safe way to clean paper labels on bottles?

I saw there was a thread on this a while back, but I didn't see any good answers. I've tried rubbing labels lightly with a wet sponge. So far that hasn't damaged any labels, but it also doesn't remove much dirt. I've been afraid to try anything harsher.

The current label I want to clean is shown below. It's got a nice picture of a tiger, and I bet it had vivid colors at one time.

8F5EA20FE1214ACBB5282E04690B528D.jpg

Attachments

• 8F5EA20FE1214ACBB5282E04690B528D.jpg
    8F5EA20FE1214ACBB5282E04690B528D.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 129

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I use a little dilute bleach to lighten up old dirty darkened paper but its not something you want to experiment with on a one of a kind valuable item. Try it on some cheap stuff first. Hydrogen peroxide workes too. And dont forget to neutralize with dilute vinegar after.

chosi

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
Do you need to leave the dilute bleach on the label for any length of time?

Lordbud

Reaction score
I have only once tried to clean a paper label on an antique bottle. It didn't work too well due to my inexperience although I managed not to destroy the label. I tend to leave bottles and labels and contents they way they are. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me years down the road.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Do you need to leave the dilute bleach on the label for any length of time?

no, like a minute. If its going to work , it wont take long. From my experience it seems most old inks were quite colorfast. I've cleaned quite a few dirty moldy trade cards with good results.

...your results may vary ...[;)]

phil44

Reaction score
You can also try submerging the bottle / lable in demineralized water and lightly go over lightly with a soft brush while submerged. I've had good results doing this....wouldnt leave it in solution much longer than a minute.

chosi

Reaction score
I've been experimenting, and I thought I'd share what I've discovered so far (even though it's been dissapointing).

Here's what I've learned:
1. Rubbing with a cotton swab was more effective at dirt removal, but was also more likely to damage the label (remove ink & paper)
2. Using a sponge was less effective at dirt removal, but less likely to damage the label
3. When using a sponge, either dab the label or rub lightly from the center of the label outward. Rubbing from the edge of the label inward is more likely to break off a chunk at the edge of the label.
4. I have not found a chemical or ratio of chemicals that has worked well. Chemicals I've tried:
- Dilute bleach (5-to-1 and 3-to-1 water-to-bleach) [neutralize w/ dilute vinegar 4-to-1]
- Dilute Hydrogen Peroxide (4-to-1 water-to-chemical) [neutralize w/ dilute vinegar 4-to-1]
- Isopropyl Alcohol

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac