Bottle Mark

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll,

Can you help me with a bottle mark? Two raised dots and a 3. This bottle is 11.5 " tall, a three piece mold, and a VERY Yellow amber color. I haven't seen a whiskey this color before. I haven't cleaned it yet and the pics don't show the true color very well. I assume this is a whiskey??? Thanks, Kelley

Jh15109.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15109.jpg
    Jh15109.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 108

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Well, Kelley, I also tend to think of 'em as whiskey bottles. However, Helen McKearin in her book, BOTTLES, FLASKS AND DR. DYOTT, describes this form as a wine bottle.

Your bottle appears to date from the 1890s, but perhaps you can see the similarity with the sort of bottles McKearin was talking about. These two bottles are each 11.25" tall. Both are blown in 3-piece molds. They are a bit earlier than your bottle, dating to 1850s-60s.

The bottle on the left is unembossed and has a prominent iron pontil scar.

The bottle on the right is shoulder-embossed PATENT. Around the base-rim, it is embossed DYOTTVILLE GLASSWORKS PHILA. There is large "5" in the center of the base.

Hope this helps.

------------Harry Pristis

Yw67363.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67363.jpg
    Yw67363.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 97

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks Harry. I would not have entertained the idea of it being a wine due to its shape and color. However, it did come out of the same pit as about 20 other wines (most of which were the green Bordeaux type with the deep kick up). The color is what struck me. It is very nearly Orange. Thanks again for your reply, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac