Colored Pontiled Utility W/Label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
I would almost certainly say American. The typecase is correct although not normal, the glass looks right also. The interesting use of new England leads to suspect it might have been American made for the English market...

earlyglass

Reaction score
American made for the English market... that is an interesting thought.

Yes, it says "Restorative" on two lines.

It is not my bottle, but I saw it over the weekend so I took a couple of pictures just for the thread. This person has dozens of clear "flinty" bottles which he believes to be American. This one intrigued me because it had a very "English" look.

Mike

tigue710

Reaction score
Sort of a shot in the dark there as for an English market, but the font or typecase does seem to be a Stlye in use in the states at the time and a close copy although not quite what was being used in english glass? It is strange to see new England embossed, it would almost only be used that way to target a market outside of new England?

I think one of the best examples of the differences between American and English made bottles are the kings patent catarh (?) snuff bottles. Theyre are examples in aqua window glass from a later date, (1840-50's) that show great difference between manufacture. I had an English variant I dug but can't find the pics...

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
One of the greatest things about this hobby: huge surprises lurking around every corner, whether that corner is down a hole in the ground, or in a library (or online). There's some research in progress about US vs British bottles (not by me, so I don't know when it will be published) that is relevant to one or two iconic bottles, and that will seriously surprise most collectors.

Known bottles I think it's POSSIBLE were manufactured in the US in flint glass with UK style pontils include (but are not limited to):

- Later style pontilled Henry's Magnesia, as above.
- The Bradlee's bottle, as above.
- Buchans Hungarian Balsam (when encountered with thin 'spidery' embossing). The well known aqua, heavily embossed, OP, Buchans, I'm 99.9% sure is US made.
- Byam's, Whitwells, and a couple of other New England opodeldocs of the pre-1840 period. These ones are pushing it a bit, and really do look British made, but there's no conclusive evidence one way or the other.

But I could be completely wrong (as I've already said, it wouldn't be the first time). That's why I'm looking for hard evidence from archaeological studies, including analyses of glass doing the obvious comparisons between frit and/or glass crucible deposits from glasshouse sites, and identifiable bottle or waster sherds, as per this study in London. That evidence doesn't seem to exist at the moment. But hopefully someone here can prove me wrong about that?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
One of the greatest things about this hobby: huge surprises lurking around every corner, whether that corner is down a hole in the ground, or in a library (or online).

That's a fact! It's always been that way for me,...in the early days, discovering such cool things as Pontils,...Sun colored glass, variants of cool known bottles, including commons in uncommon colors, New dumps I was unaware of, A farmstead I found by myself through research, that produced bottles...etc,etc...Thanks for that thought.

Road Dog

Reaction score
Henry's Calcined Magnesia was priced out of the price range of most americans due to import taxes. So, Husband's Calcined Magnesia was created in 1844. These bottles look like the Henry's if you ever seen them. Thought that was interesting.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Road Dog

Henry's Calcined Magnesia was priced out of the price range of most americans due to import taxes. So, Husband's Calcined Magnesia was created in 1844. These bottles look like the Henry's if you ever seen them. Thought that was interesting.

Nice info. Sometimes seems that every bottle type sooner or later throws up something different to throw into the mix.

midway49

Reaction score
Interesting note- I was reading some history on Dr Braddee's trial and it was stated that the sheriff recovered some evidence in the privy (seemed Braddee was throwing paperwork into the pit).
Does anyone have idea/ knowledge of percentage of American firms obtaining British made bottles for their products in the 1830's-1840's? Will chemical composition of the glass be the only way this question is answered?

Road Dog

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Road Dog

Just a pic showing the comparison. Also you can see the darkness of the english bottle.

B56D77E83ADD460B9248B1C26F1BD497.jpg

Attachments

• B56D77E83ADD460B9248B1C26F1BD497.jpg
    B56D77E83ADD460B9248B1C26F1BD497.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 58

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora