X. Bazin?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
DSC02220.jpg
DSC02221.jpg

DSC02224.jpg
DSC02223.jpg

This chippy little guy was kicked literally to the curb by some of the excavating machinery on a large urban removal project. That is before they fenced me out, now that the "renewal" phase has begun.

Damaged as it is, i really like this one. Is it a Bazin? It has a pontil era feel. Is that a "ground pontil?" I'd be pleased to learn your thoughts.

bazin3.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't know about Bazin. I'm only going to speculate that the pontil isn't ground. The bottle doesn't seam important enough to merit a polish. I'd guess they just got it done without the rod. The X and B are cool on the neck. Just my opinion.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I'm only going to speculate that the pontil isn't ground. The bottle doesn't seam important enough to merit a polish. I'd guess they just got it done without the rod.

Hey Eric,

Thanks for your thoughts. Would only "important" bottles receive a grind and polish? Would a jagged pontil that would prevent the bottle from standing without the wobble factor, not be a candidate?

I've seen the term bandied about from time to time, but cannot recall a bonafide example on a commercial bottle. This is the only bottle that I have that appears to have been ground and polished. Kinda hard to see with the opalescence. It has a finger feel as if it might have been. I don't know, but would enjoy learning more.

abraham-lincoln-antietam-battlefield.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. Would only "important" bottles receive a grind and polish? Would a jagged pontil that would prevent the bottle from standing without the wobble factor, not be a candidate?
I thought about that and I guess they could.
Looking closer it's still hard to see but to me it looks a key or bottom post indent. Thinking of the letter so high on the neck I'd still guess a later than pontil era bottle. Hey, I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will again.
It's still a cute bottle and if I can have an opinion that is 100% correct.[:D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Thinking of the letter so high on the neck I'd still guess a later than pontil era bottle.

Hey Eric,

Yours, mine, and a hundred odd sets of eyes have glommed onto to this little guy. I can't think of a similarly neck embossed bottle that I have ever before dug. The part of the site from which this guy appeared was pontil age.

Mouldwise would this be too advanced for mid 19th Century? I'm woefully ignorant on the finer points of mould making, and a lot of other things...

I've done a ton of wondering about this little footed, heavily quilted guy. Would'ya call those bay windows on the sides, or what? I'm assuming it to be a perfumed lotion. But I may have hit a supposing cul-de-sac. I cannot think of another manufacturer with the initials "X B." Sure would like to hear anyone's thoughts, as my own seem to be chasing their tail.

august+sander+1.JPG

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't know what else to say Surf. I still think it a snap and not a ground pontil. 1880-90 is my guess.
I agree that it's Xavier Bazin but they were around into the 1900's I think. I'd swear I saw some info under potlids but I don't see it now.
I wish someone else would check in. I sure don't mind being told I'm wrong.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My opinion is your bottle is an Xavier Bazin perfume.

He was known to use the X B initials. He also used quite a variety of bottles.

Odell has the following letter on his site..
Hi Digger - I have just been reading the FASCINATING article ("Looks Like the Bears Aren't Out of the Woods...Yet") on your most excellent website. For Christmas, my mom received a bottle with "X.B." etched into the glass, and with "Bazin's" on the label. We put 2 and 2 together and searched "Xavier Bazin." And up came your enlightening article. There is a U.S. postage stamp on the bottom of the bottle. The postage stamp has "X.B." and "1867" on it. The date seems to be handwritten, the initials seem to be hand-stamped. Do you have any suggestions where we can find additional information on Bazin and what he was up to in the late 1860s? Thanks so much, Suellen Ruttkay

The "postage stamp" they refer to is a tax stamp.

Your bottle is typical of small flint type bottles made in the 1860s.
It appears to be smooth base, not pontil scarred or ground.

Its a very nice bottle in my opinon but not of high value.

Ratzilla

Reaction score
I agree it's X Bazin perfume or cosmetic from Philly, I dug this very similar one a few years back. Age would be circa 1860 - 65, there's a lot of 'really old but not quite pontilled' Bazin bottles around, but not too many that actually are pontillled.

1E25B71A46A94909BAB50D9F26B0B5E9.jpg

Attachments

• 1E25B71A46A94909BAB50D9F26B0B5E9.jpg
    1E25B71A46A94909BAB50D9F26B0B5E9.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 93

surfaceone

Reaction score
Thank you, Matt, Tom & Eric,

I appreciate the additional information. Tom I like yours a lot, too. Could'ya show us the flipside? It appears that both of ours have a larger than usual mouth diameter for a perfume. That's why I was thinking some kinda lotion...

Ginger_Baker.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky