What book would you recommend

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm a complete novice. Maybe not even novice status but I'd like an opinion of a good beginner guide.
My father has a fire bucket full from when he was a kid. I'd like to learn about them. Unless he traded some I would guess not much of it is earlier than the 30's or early 40's but he may have had some from his father too. I haven't looked at them in 35 years so I have no idea what's there.
The choices on Amazon are many.
I asked this once before and maybe it was answered and I just missed it. I think I asked in the wrong category.
Thanks for any opinions you have.

mr.fred

Reaction score
Schroeder's puts out a good Antiques Book!----i used to be into Candy Containers!!!-got 1 of their books------Good basic info!![:)]. I think in the $ 15--$20 range.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. I guess I forgot to mention that I was asking about a marbles guide. Prices would be OK but I mostly want an ID book. I suppose it would be nice to find there was something of value but that's not really what I care about.
I know there are web sites but I always like to have a hard copy of something.

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Everitt Grist's Big Book of Marbles - A comprehensive identification & value guide for both antique and machine made marbles ,has a new 4th edition out ,have not got it yet but am going to .I have the 3rd edition and it is my favorite .Also -American Machine -Made Marbles - by Dean Six ,Suzie Metzler,and Michael Johnson - A Schiffer book for collectors with price guide - is a good one for information but the pics are not as good as Grist's .Joe Marbles is a great online guide with manufacturers info ,lots of pics and articles .The link is posted in earlier post ,Surfacecone 's link worked my did not.
Post some pics if you get a chance ,bet there are some nice ones in that bucket ! And be carefull dumping them out ,i always cringe when i see them in buckets ,cans or jars they get damaged dumping in and out .Make sure you take out any steel ball bearings as those have damaged many good marbles .With marbles ,rarity and condition are very important .
I have collected them for many years but only started learning to id them the last couple years ,it is a lot harder than i thought it would be ,and some marbles can not be 100% identified ( just called West Virginia Swirls) . Alley and Ravenswood were started by the same man ,so a lot of the earlier marbles produced are unidentifiable to one or the other ,unless in original sealed packaging .Marbles are like snowflakes and fingerprints no two exactly the same ,be carefull collecting becomes addicting to many after starting the slippery slope to identification [:D] Sorry so long winded but as you can tell i really like the little glass orbs [:)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Sorry so long winded but as you can tell i really like the little glass orbs
Don't be sorry, I appreciate it.

I'll look into that one. Like I said, I haven't looked at them for 35 years. I don't remember any ball bearings but there were some clay. I can't remember anything over ¾" but it was a long time ago. I do remember cutting some out of spray cans when I was a kid.

One of these days I want to start a collection for you Rick, maybe $1 each from forum members. I really want you have a shovel.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Cowseattmaize. Here is a link for you to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IInoaVcxY&NR=1
I think you will have to cut and paste it in word. The link should be blue I think to pick it up. On my computer if I push down the Ctrl key and left click the mouse this link will come up. This will show you how the make some marbles.
RED Matthews

Digswithstick

Reaction score
One of these days I want to start a collection for you Rick, maybe $1 each from forum members. I really want you have a shovel.

[/quote] [:D] Thanks Eric ,but i have one found while digging ,fits on the stick (i use it when no one is watching but it breaks more bottles than the stick)There are many marble websites that have great pictures archived for veiwing a few are -Land of Marbles ,All About Marbles ,Marble Connection -all good sources for info .I have several marble books but the two i mentioned are the best IMO.
Red ,thanks for posting that i have watched several others,i would like to get a kiln(for controlled melting &cooling of glass) someday (i have a torch) and make marbles ,been saving cobalt bottles and milkglass to make swirls .There are some on line videos of marble machines in action as well .[:)] Blue and white C A C slag [&:]

80A61DE620894942AE6D2F50CF3F5600.jpg

Attachments

• 80A61DE620894942AE6D2F50CF3F5600.jpg
    80A61DE620894942AE6D2F50CF3F5600.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 86

sloughduck

Reaction score
For me the best book I have found so far(I have had them all ) Is the Robert Block "Marbles Identification and price guide" Schiffer Books puts these out.www.schifferbooks.com.This company has books on about any collector item you'd want.I have the 2002 4th edition,by now there will be newer editions
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I'm a complete novice. Maybe not even novice status but I'd like an opinion of a good beginner guide.
My father has a fire bucket full from when he was a kid. I'd like to learn about them. Unless he traded some I would guess not much of it is earlier than the 30's or early 40's but he may have had some from his father too. I haven't looked at them in 35 years so I have no idea what's there.
The choices on Amazon are many.
I asked this once before and maybe it was answered and I just missed it. I think I asked in the wrong category.
Thanks for any opinions you have.

Digswithstick

Reaction score
I have three of Blocks books as well ,but the only pics are marbles he has sold at auction ,and most of the smaller companies different types are not covered well .All guide books seem to get better every year and new info uncovered each day ,get the most up to date as possible . My favs in order 1 Grists , 2 AMMM ,3 Blocks .

Digswithstick

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mr.fred

Schroeder's puts out a good Antiques Book!----i used to be into Candy Containers!!!-got 1 of their books------Good basic info!![:)]. I think in the $ 15--$20 range.
Grists is a Schroeder book ,forgot to add that ,sorry Fred [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler