fennings fever cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
ey Doyle,

I can only imagine the amount of time he had to spend at the library, talking to far flung librarians, collectors, curators, dealers, diggers, et al. Did he ever talk of his methods and/or sleuthing the elusive bottle stories? What were some of his non Dr. Pepper favorites?
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

He has a Warner collection of 31 of the mintest and beautiful bottles around that he would not break up that he liked a lot, also a Texas medicine collection of approx 62 bottles that was outstanding and some are one of a kind now. He had a Texas drugstore bottle collection that I bought from him at 200 bottles at a time, total approx 485 or so. He would not sell the entire collection at one time because he wanted to enjoy it while he could. He had a straight sided Texas Coca-Cola straight side, no hutch bottle collection of 55 bottles that I got from him. A big 100 or more collection of Embossed/Raised Letter Dr Pepper I got from him. I also got one of the biggest Morrison Old Corner Drug Store item collections anywhere, "where Dr Pepper was born in 1885" Again would not sell all together, had to wait approx 2 years to buy it all.
He also collected mineral water bottles, paper items, all sorts of "tins"
Dr Pepper clocks, signs metal and cardboards. He has a lot of ACL and embossed/debossed soda water bottles, a nice collection of milk bottles. At one time he had the biggest collection of colored drugstore bottles, most all from Texas, but a few out of state. He was a big collector of Waco, Texas items.
Back in 1990 or so when I was member of the Coke Club in Houston, he was a guest of the club. He brought slides of his Dr Pepper, Artesian, and Circle A bottles, and also a lot of the bottles. He told a story of when he was a Pastor at a Baptist church in Waco he would dig bottles at an old dump near town, and some time when he could not dig for some reason, he would pay some of the town "sots" to gig bottles for him. He said he was feeling very guilty about this, because he knew where the money was going, and that was to buy more "brew". He felt guilty because on Saturday morning he was giving money to these folks to dig for him and then for them to go buy their brew, and on Sunday morning he was preaching against it!!
Bill spent man hours at Baylor library in Waco, at the D.C. archives, talking with other collectors at bottle shows, post card shows. He was a very rare person whom I am going to miss daily. I would call and we sometimes would talk for hours at a time. The week he died, we talked twice during the week and also on Friday for about an hour, and he Died early Sunday am. HE WILL BE MISSED BY ALL, Doyle

surfaceone

Reaction score
Thanks Doyle,

I appreciate you giving us this portrait of the man through his bottles, research, and your friendship with him. Thank you.

836514_300x300.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac