HIRES MUG QUESTIONS / OPINIONS WELCOME

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My questions are mainly for you die-hard Hires Root Beer collectors, but all opinions are welcome. So please feel free to let me know what you think, even if you don't know squat about Hires.

It involves a ceramic mug I have my eye on that is identical to the one shown below. As far as I know these type of mugs are at least 100 years old, and very hard to come by in any condition. Notice on the example shown below from my 2003 soda pop book, that a mug like this in decent shape is valued at $325.00.

However, the one I have my eye on has some flaws. I have indicated those flaws where the red arrows are, which include a couple of amature repairs and a couple of hairline cracks. Otherwise it is in great shape and would display well.

Here are my questions:

1. What do you think a mug like this is worth in it's ill-repared shape?

2. What is the maxium you would pay if the antique dealer were willing to dicker on the price?

3. Is it as rare as I think, or am I just imagining things?

4. Are you interested in purchasing it from me? And if so, how much are you willing to pay?

{I can easily get detailed photos of it if someone is interested in it}

Thanks a lot.

SODA "PUZZLED" BOB

88A779B2539F4247B0A55BE27E334D0C.jpg

Attachments

• 88A779B2539F4247B0A55BE27E334D0C.jpg
    88A779B2539F4247B0A55BE27E334D0C.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 51

acls

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
acls ~

Thanks. I should have mentioned I checked e-bay too and saw the same mug along with several others. Most of them appear to be in near-mint condition and available in a wide range of prices. So with that said I will just cut to the chase and disclose that I think I can get the mug (As is w/repairs) for about $30.00.

The deal is, it's a rainy day here in southern California and I'm bored. Plus, the mug I saw the other day has been sitting on a shelf in an antique shop for several weeks now, and it bugs me when I see something like that knowing I can get it reasonably cheap and possibly double my money by reselling it. You know how it goes. But after seeing the ones on e-bay and elsewhere, I honestly think the true interest in these mugs is for near-mint examples.

But if someone were interested in it, and just had to have it, I suppose it could be made available for around $50.00. But now a new question comes to mind, which is ...

Is a mug like this with flaws worth 50.00?

SPBOB

P.S. ~ By the way ... Am I the only one getting those weird pop-up boxes on e-bay, or is that something new?

coboltmoon

Reaction score
Other areas of antique glass and pottery are not as forgiving as bottle collectors when it comes to damage. Chipped and cracked sell at 5% -10% of mint pieces if they will sell at all. And list price is generally twice real world value.

Important and rare pieces and pieces with damage that is present but hard to see can make the piece more desirable then 10%

I see the resale value about $15 to $35
If you really love it you could go $50 -$100 but if you go to resell will the next guy love it as much as you.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cobolt ~

Thanks. I think I will forget about the mug for now and change directions regarding another item I saw the other day, and one which I know absoloutely nothing about. It is a ceramic "Julep" soda fountain syrup dispenser that my dealer buddy is asking $300.00 for but said he will let me have at a discount for $250.00.

I don't have a picture of it, but I can tell you that it stands about 12 inches tall, made out of heavy ceramic, is in mint condition, and has the original spout. It is sort of narrow at the top (about 8" wide) and flares to a wider base (about 12" wide). It is a blueish gray color. On both sides near the top is the baked-on name, (in red) ...

JULEP

Someone placed a plain glass syrup-type bottle on top of it that I am sure is not original to the dispenser itself. I looked around on e-bay and elsewher, but did not see one identical to it anywhere. But I did notice that some of those types of dispensers sell in the thousands of dollar. So I am wondering what a "JULEP" dispenser like the one described above might be worth. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

SPBOB

P.S. ~ My apologies for changing paddles in mid-stream. It's a simple case of "cabin fever." [:D]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Below is a picture I found of a very, very similar Julep dispenser like the one I described above. So what is something like this worth without the glass bottle?

Thanks,

SPBOB

2383063687564880867D6B02DFC7C6B0.jpg

Attachments

• 2383063687564880867D6B02DFC7C6B0.jpg
    2383063687564880867D6B02DFC7C6B0.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 44

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member