Help on Confusing Ball

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronvae

Reaction score
I just found an aqua jar that says "Ball" in script, and "MASON", has a "3" and 2 hash marks on the bottom, and is totally confusing to me.

I think it has a pontil scar, and the glass is very wavy, with 2 large bubbles & some small ones; but

it is a screw-top, and the seam goes through the lip.

Is it even possible to have a pontil scar when the seam goes through the lip? [8|] I normally find sodas & booze, so I don't know anything about jars. Am off to Walgreens now to try to develop pix of what I think is the pontil scar.

Any info would be appreciated...

ronvae

Reaction score
Here is what seems to sort-of be a pontil scar? Maybe? It is round, smooth, and sticks out of the bottom, maybe 1/16th inch?

Us54932.jpg

ronvae

Reaction score
Here's one of the whole bottle--this is as close-up as my camera will go:

Nl31035.jpg

Attachments

• Nl31035.jpg
    Nl31035.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 90

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
No that is not a pontil scar. What you have there is an ejection scar. These were typical on bottles and jars after 1940 or so.

The wavy glass is just a by product of the molding process.

Regards,
BA

ronvae

Reaction score
Well that makes sense. It seems awful crude for 1940, but then again, I suppose they didn't have to be as careful with jars as they were with soda bottles...

Thanks for the info! [:)]

Hoosier49er

Reaction score
Your jar appears to have been made on the Ball Bingham machine. It's hard to tell from the small pic, but it looks like you have what's known as a "3L" Ball jar. Is there a third loop behind the word Ball before it goes to the underscore? These were made on this machine from 1900-1910. The older hand blown jars were blown from the top, the excess cut off, then the edge near the threads ground flat.

Hope this helped.
Joe

ronvae

Reaction score
Thanks Joe!
That helped alot. There is a 3rd loop after the 2 "l"s, before the underscore. I have a name for my little treasure now, and the machine it was made on. Thanks!! [:D]

diginit

Reaction score
I don't understnd something. How could this be a machine made bottle when the ABM wasn't invented until 1907 and not widely used until 1910?

ronvae

Reaction score
I always heard that ABM started in 1903 & had pretty much taken over all of the U.S. by 1910. I've heard that alot.

I THINK somebody told me that they had bottle machines for jars before they had them for bottles, but I might have imagined that.

maybe somebody who knows for sure will tell us. [8|]

diginit

Reaction score
It makes sense that jars were mass produced first be cause they were more commonly used. I've heard different starting dates and use for the ABM. Now another. Maybe we should ask Digger O'dell.[;)] I 'm sure he would know.
I like the aqua square shoulder mason. It is an early one for sure. Some masons are dated somewhere around the threads in very small numbers. Some not. nice find Ronvae. I wish I could help you more.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky