Anchor Hocking mark on Coca Cola bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

randgrithr

Reaction score
I don't have them with me to provide photos, but I found two interesting shards recently at a site that I'm going back to dig later. One was a broken (but gorgeous) designer soda. The other was a broken Coca Cola bottle, 6 or 7oz size. The interesting thing was that the *only* mark on the bottom of this bottle was an Anchor Hocking maker's mark.

The designer soda dates the area to around 1916 to the late 20's. Any thoughts on the age/value of the Coke bottle? Am hoping to bring up some whole ones later.

Thanks, Eileen

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Eileen ~

Is the Coca Cola bottle a straight-sided type or a hobbleskirt?

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks ~

The following should help.

anchorhocking.jpg

Anchor logo with an "H" superimposed over it ... Anchor Hocking Corporation, Lancaster, OH and other plant locations (1937- to 1977). Reportedly discontinued in 1977.

As I don't know how much of the broken bottle you have, it is difficult to say where and when it was made. But based on the above it would be 1937 or later. Typically Coca Cola hobbleskirts have the city and state embossed on the very bottom. There may also be a two-digit number on it somewhere like 39 for 1939 - 47 for 1947 ... etc.

SPBOB

fldwlkr

Reaction score
The straight sided cokes of the 20's are of value. If it is a hobble skirt the date will probably be on the side of the bottle.
fldwlkr

randgrithr

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. The mark was definitely Anchor Hocking. I am used to the ones with the city/state so I was surprised to see nothing else. There were no numbers at all on the shard I found. Hope to have more info later, maybe some whole bottles.

Eileen

digdug

Reaction score
I have a few whole Coke bottles that have the Anchor Hocking logo on the bottom. Mine are from the early 1960's when they briefly stopped placing City/State on the bottom.

randgrithr

Reaction score
Hm, that's what I was afraid of... so the area is more mixed in age than it appears. Bummer. Well I might meander out that way today and see what I can find.

Eileen

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Eileen ~

It crossed my mind that being as those bottles you're finding are likely from the 1960s, that it is also likely the majority of them have painted labels. Coca Cola introduced their first acls around 1955, and were widely distributed by 1957. A note of interest about these first acls is they had the Coca Cola signature on both sides. Which were soon replaced by "Coke" on one side and the signature on the other. So keep your eyes peeled for the double-signature bottles. Although somewhat common, they are harder to find and still fun to look for and keep. Especially in mint condition.

Good luck.

SPBOB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado