Any diggers in WA?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Please be VERY careful in discussing digging in either Washington, or Oregon. Especially in any public forum. Both states are not only unfriendly overall towards bottle digging, but have strict laws which absolutely prohibit any digging, even on private property. You have to be living under a rock not to know this. As recently as last week in my town, there was a front page story in our newspaper regarding an upcoming construction on private property, and the Oregon law requiring a "permit" and on site Arc... The focus is on the privies, and their historical artifacts. The propertyowners are now held hostage to this "law".

I can tell you all from experience that so much as discussing the possibility of bottle digging in either state is beyond dangerous. Do not underestimate the seriousness of this.

It's so sad that Oregon has gone to the "dark side" regarding artifacts and bottle digging on private property. Archys generally learned EVERYTHING that they now know from studying books written by collectors. It's been a couple of generations since the early bottle books were printed and they consider the knowledge to theirs only by this date. I love to watch the amateurs at work, scurrying about like little hens when a shard shows up. Complete and mint bottles mean no more to them than the tiniest of pieces. I know from experience that the real good bottles fall into the supervising archaeologist's hands and wind up off site in his or her personal stash.[:mad:]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Dale,

Could'ya point us to that article? Here's the poop from oregon.gov. The OR/Archy ogres are encouraging snitching.

The Washington broad brush.

Seems to have spread to B.C. as well.

I'd be writing some letters or better yet ...

mob.jpg
visiting local representatives.

grugirl

Reaction score
I have to ask about the SUPERVISING ARCHY because that is something I have been wondering about.
When folks go on a dig together, who gets the bottle? The one that finds it? How is division done between a group otherwise? What are the unwritten rules or basic way the system works of digging together?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
In my group all bottles are communal property. If a digger wants a bottle for themselves they pay the others an amount equal to a fair value, not one resulting from an auction. I dig primarily with only one other digger and in the past several digs I have kept maybe 6 bottles. Any commons like Hood's, Kilmer's, or any other often dug bottles have no interest to me and he keeps them all, including slicks. I don't care to clutter my place with clunkers that take eons to get rid of, so am very selective in what comes home. 200+ bottles to him, 6 to me. That's fair in my book. A half century of digging gives me the right to take only a few; I've dug so many bottles that not many even begin to wind my watch, as it were. Call me jaded, I won't argue.

keithstanfield

Reaction score
hey grugirl im from spokane.in the last couple days ive found some awesome permissions i have lined up.to bad its raining,kinda wanna go anyway..you might wanna check out the silver valley,i grew up in wallace and there are numerous mining/logging camps and lots of ghosttowns.i was in burke yesterday and found what i thought was a torpedoe in the creek.it turned out to be a boiler(like a torp,but rounded bottom)that said "ross s belfast" on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18