Diving in NYC area?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

randgrithr

Reaction score
I have a friend who just got dive certified. He's asking where the good places are around NYC to go looking for bottles. Anyone... Bueller, Bueller? [:D]

Eileen

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Eileen,

Geeze! Diving in the Hudson or East River sounds lovely. Dead Horse Bay, that's the ticket. I think I might want a bathysphere were I to attempt it.

bathysphere.jpeg

randgrithr

Reaction score
They're wearing full wetsuits and scuba gear, so I don't think they're going to be that badly affected by any pollution they run into. Then again, they're also braver folk than I. Who knows, it might pay off.

I sent him this link to a great online collection of antique maps of NYC/LI, which also might be useful for people here:

http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Map/Maps.Main.html

Eileen

kwalker

Reaction score
I'd imagine with all the development in some areas it'd be harder to find bottles than in others. But I'm sure around the Coney Island area there'd be a few TOC things maybe. I'd be interested in seeing what there'd be to find on the bottom of the the rivers in the city...

lg_Trapeze_performers__Dreamland__Coney_Island1900s_4x6.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Dead Horse Bay in Brooklyn would be, to say the least, interesting. I estimate that there are LITERALLY hundreds of thousands of bottles lying there on the sea floor, slowly drifting onto the shore for the land-bound collector to find. The catch is that there is nothing older than the 40s-50s there yet. There is an island made up entirely of the dump that is being eroded by the waves. The dump was where ALL OF NYC dumped their trash starting in the early 1900s. I'm sure there is great stuff in there... There's just too many bottles to sort through.

You can see 'em swimming around out there...
beacheh.jpg

imukdiver

Reaction score
I don't know about dead horse bay, but you can't dive for bottles around coney island. I'm pretty sure for some idiotic reason its protected from bottling diving. The water around there is gonna be murky, but may be worth it. Diving on the incoming tide it might be a bit clearer.

randgrithr

Reaction score
And here I thought SurfaceOne was just teasing me about one of my previous threads (I've found horse bones and teeth at a more local dig site). But no, it's a for real place! This is very interesting but it's not near public transportation, so my exploring will have to wait. But thanks for the info! Now I wonder if my friendly "glass spirits" were trying to tell me something with me finding all those horse bones! [:D]

Eileen

RedGinger

Reaction score
That would be a lot of fun. Think how old NYC is!! Beendiggin told everyone about a book called, "Unearthing Gotham". It's been on my list for a long time. Can't wait to read it. Can you imagine, there were Great White sharks swimming in the water just off NYC until the early 20th century?

KBbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

That would be a lot of fun. Think how old NYC is!! Beendiggin told everyone about a book called, "Unearthing Gotham". It's been on my list for a long time. Can't wait to read it. Can you imagine, there were Great White sharks swimming in the water just off NYC until the early 20th century?

There still are on occasion! EEEEEEK! [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac