Photos from the Baltimore Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey all,
I worked up a quick page with photos from the Baltimore Bottle Show, including a couple of the displays. I was happy to meet some of you there and sorry I missed some. Maybe I'll see you at the next show...for me it will be the Raleigh, NC Show.

The page with photos is here:
http://members.aol.com/meechuta/balt.html

IRISH

Reaction score
Look's like it was a good show, did you display anything there ? . That Warners display is a stunner [sm=tongue.gif] .

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
IRISH --- I wanted to vote for the Warners display, but I didn't even vote. My wife voted for the Posion display, which won first place.

No displays at this point.
I'm working on trying to come up with a display at our local show this Fall. I don't specialize in any one thing or type of bottle, but I may have an idea for one. I don't want to give away my idea just yet though.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Great pics! And great displays, they didn't have any as elaborate at the national show in Saratoga Springs last year. The lighting is really effective, I sort of lean towards the Warners because that was the first bottle I found that got me hooked. But from a presentation standpoint, the poison display is a 'Killer' lol. Do you have any interesting transaction stories from the show you'd like to share?

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Maine Digger -
The only transactions I was involved in, was I bought a couple more books. I picked up the Warners' and the Baltimore books. I also couldn't believe all the self published books available at the show. Many of these I hadn't even heard of until then.

I went up there (3 1/2 hrs. one way) with a good bit of money, but when I usually do that, I never seem to find things I'd like to buy. I did handle several bottles that were priced $5000 or better. I would quickly and gently place them down after seeing the price tag. [:)]

I was very interested in a couple of black glass bottles, horses hoofs and mallets. The table drew quite a bit of interest, but was looked after by the sellers wife. The seller was out buying elsewhere and she said he hadn't been seen for hours. I waited and waited and finally, after several returns, left the show without one. I consider this his loss.

One table, which was described as "a feeding frenzy", by others, was a diggers table. The tablecloth was soiled and brown, instead of white. I guess they were selling uncleaned bottles, fresh from the bucket or box, and doing quite well.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Meech, I know what you mean about traveling so far and coming back emptyhanded. That show my wife and I went to in Saratoga NY was 5+ hours from my home in Maine. I have to be honest though, my sister lives in Balston Spa, the next town over, so we mixed business to say with pleasure. There was a dealer from ME - Jack Pelletier, who had a display of commenorative flasks etc., I too picked one up it put it down very carefully when I saw the price tag of $4000+ lol. The 'National" bottle museum is located in Balston Spa NY, if you have any of the later additions of the Michael Polak bottle guides, theres a picture in it of a cross section of a privy dig that's a display at the museum. In all honesty though, I've seen individual collections that hold more than the 'national' museum! lol By the way we have traveled down your way quite a bit over the past 4-5 years, our son attends Concord College in Athens, WV so we head down through the Shenedoah valley to 64 and over to WV. It's really a beautiful country down there, and the people are very gracious. I envy the fact that you guys must get a 2 months head start on the season to us poor cold, frost-bitten diggers in Maine!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Sure, sure rub it in! But can you go sking in June? We've got 3 seasons up here, Winter, Mud, Blackfly and back to winter! I have visited some privy web sites that indicate there's some diggers in Wisconsin that dig year round!? There's just no way i could do that without a back hoe.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Crozet, I guess I'll have to take consolidation in knowing that my chances of finding a virgin site and un-plucked privy are probably a bit higher than you guys in the sun belt! What do you mean rain or snow might stop you from digging!? Why, when I was young I had to trek through 8'' of snow and mud just to reach my sites and............lol

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Slimdigger - What about old well sites? I came across an old cellar hole that I and a digging buddy searched with probes and metal detectors as well as all the area around it. We didn't find any sign of a dump but did find two wells, two large ones, one covered, one not - about 4-5' in diameter; (we placed some logs across the uncovered one) I later found what appears to be a well but only about 3' in diameter, at first i thought it was a privy, but no signs of a structure, and there's about 6' of water (at least) in the bottom. All 3 wells are stone lined, and structurally quite sound. Would it be feasible to drop a ladder down and go down with a tank (and stout rope attached to a friend topside) to check these out? I almost afraid to see what we'd find in the one that lay uncovered for so long.. that missing hunter hmmm. This site might be too old, I'm guessing 1800 or older, but I know one of those wells has some open pontil flasks in the bottom of them!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky