Should I use muriatic acid?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I was debating how to clean this bottle that epackage so kindly gave me... But I'm not really sure what muriatic acid can/can't clean. I've heard it can't clean ground stain or iridescence, but I also hear people saying they use it all the time. What's the story? Does anyone have before and after pictures of bottles on which they used muriatic acid?

Anyway, onto the bottle at hand. I have a feeling that muriatic would work wonders on this bottle. Underneath the dull stain, I can see a shiny, beautiful bottle! It was obviously never buried, due to the fact that it has the wire closure intact. I assume that if I used muriatic with the closure still on it, the wire would become corroded and useless. I am debating whether the closure is worth saving. The wire adds nothing aesthetically to the bottle, and is the only reason it isn't as shiny as its brothers. None of my other local bottles have the closures intact either, so this one also appears out of place in that sense. Putnam closures are hardly a unique thing, being used commonly throughout the 1860's-80's. The cork used to seal mine is missing, so I don't think it would really be a loss.

Another option I am considering is taking the closure off with pliers, cleaning the bottle the best I can, then reattaching the wire to the (now cleaned) neck. Is it worth it to do this? Am I hurting the collectability of the bottle by removing the original closure? What do I do?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Gosh, little buddy.. sounds like you're gonna destroy that poor bottle and its annoyingly common 1860-80's closure.. try this instead:

Get some Barkeeper's Friend and a celluloid sponge, and scrub that beauty to it's lustre-to-be.. don't forget the water.. and the sink..

Wheelah23

Reaction score
What if I wrapped the closure in plastic wrap, THEN dipped the bottle in the acid? I'm itching to test this stuff out on something...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Make a Bloody Mary.. actually, that'd be a virgin for you.. [;)]

epackage

Reaction score
Connor here is what I told your mom on how to use the Muriatic acid...I got this from Earl in Hawaii whose bottles always come out beautiful afterwards....Jim

I use straight muriatic acid, the product name is called HASA, itis very strong industrial acid, I picked it up at a swimming pool supply store...Youhave to be very careful using it, do it outside, watch the wind direction, you want to be up wind, use rubber gloves anda mask, it does smoke when you pour it and you do not want to breaththe vapors, the way I clean bottles is put a small amount inside thebottle just enough to cover the base, then I put the bottle inside aplastic 5 gallon bucket, pour some acid inside the bucket just enoughto cover the bottom, then cover the bucket... I usually leave it in thebucket for 24 hours, the vapors of the acid is the one that cleans thebottle, remember when you open the bucket a lot of vapors will come outof the bucket, be very careful!!!!, I then rinse the bottle with water,I use a brush or sand to clean whatever the acid don't clean out, it'samazing how clean the bottle can get....

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The most important rule of restoration is always start with the most mild form of cleaning and work your way up to the harshest.
That goes for art, antiques, or bottles.
If the milder cleaning works well enough then you need go no further.

You are correct that muriatic will not clean etched or opalized glass.
It can help on some staining.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow, silly me... I forgot the pictures... What a foo'!

Don't be fooled by the shine... I had the flash on... It's got a very dull luster in reality.

img3526w.jpg

img3528hp.jpg

img3548n.jpg

Well Jim... Thanks for the cleaning tip. I will see where I can get that.

I tried Lime-Away on a few different kinds of stain. It didn't work at all on the iridescent stain, and it worked a bit on the white hazy stain. It demolished the rust stains, so that's a plus.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
It's a Putnam closure. It would've had a cork sliver in it that slides over the lip to seal it.

I would never think of demolishing a Hutter closure. Those are the ones that used the porcelain stoppers. In fact, I will need a few original ones once I find the bottles that match my stoppers...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum