Bennington in the Wild

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
5694603499_1029cfab9a_b.jpg

VTdigger

Reaction score
What do you mean by Bennington in the wild? Just wondering because it's a town in VT I do most of my picking in. I live a few towns over but Bennington has the best spots near by. Was that where you found the marble?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Jim,...How's it going? The marbles of that type are referred to as "Benningtons" even though most were made in Germany, I believe.....Penn Digger and I have been to and through Bennington Vt. That huge old boarding house at the corners is pretty cool. Behind the outbuildings down towards the creek, we noticed ash and old glass....It seemed abit too public of a place to dig though, and we weren't sure who owned it....Cool place as well w/ Robt. Frosts (and familys) graves, and the old Bennington church.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

"Many crockery marbles, especially brown- or blue-glazed ones, have been called Benningtons by dealers and collectors, because they bear a similar appearance to the blue and brown glazed Bennington pottery ware. According to the Bennington Museum in Bennington, Vermont, Bennington potters did not manufacture marbles as production items. It is possible that individual workmen made marbles for their own children, there is no evidence to prove it. It certainly would not account for the large number still existing. The great majority of crockery marbles were probably produced in Germany." From.

benningtons.jpg
From.

80%20marbles%203.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Surf,...Great info as always! Way to clarify my muddled thoughts.
m6.gif

Jim,...just as an interesting aside, I found this little tidbit amongst the info on the Bennington Vt. historic web site. So I guess that spells out how they might feel about bottle diggers....[8|]

Archeological Resources
Many of Bennington's industries, commercial ventures, public buildings and farms were abandoned when they lost their economic and social viability. The ruins and buried remains of these buildings with their associated features and deposits -- kilns, wells, dumps, outhouses and outbuildings -- have become part of Bennington's historic archeological heritage.

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Collectors refer to "In the wild" as any marble not bought or found at marble show ,e-bay,or marble dealer .
As Joe said great info Surf ! [:)]

VTdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Surf,...Great info as always! Way to clarify my muddled thoughts.
m6.gif

Jim,...just as an interesting aside, I found this little tidbit amongst the info on the Bennington Vt. historic web site. So I guess that spells out how they might feel about bottle diggers....[8|]

Archeological Resources
Many of Bennington's industries, commercial ventures, public buildings and farms were abandoned when they lost their economic and social viability. The ruins and buried remains of these buildings with their associated features and deposits -- kilns, wells, dumps, outhouses and outbuildings -- have become part of Bennington's historic archeological heritage.

That's weird, don't know how to make of that, I always kinda worry about attracting suspicion when I go bottle huntin, Kinda surprised I haven't. I'll go almost anywhere, I'm not disrespectful though, I just don't start digging in someones back yard or cause damage to property or anything stupid like that, I can be a be a bit of an animal though when looking for old stuff, I may walk briefly through yards to avoid massive prickers or a part of the stream I cant navigate with out getting soaked, I move thorough as fast as I can to a distance from the property. as long as it'[s not marked "No trespassing" or right in a back yard, it's open game to me.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac