Need help identifying bottle type

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lacyc

Reaction score
Im new to this and want to find out if there is a name for a style of bottle I have. It is similar to modern glass ketchup bottles. There is what I call 'panelling' all around the body of the bottle (starting below the shoulder.) Each panel is maybe and 3/4 inch or so wide, so there are many. The top of each panel is arched. Anyone know what this feature is called? Thanks.

lacyc

Reaction score
Well thanks but I dont think is is the Gothic style pepper sauce because the arches are not pointed and it has a long neck. Im thinking its an old Heinz ketchup bottle actually, any thoughts?

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Lacy, There are an awful lot of different ketchup bottles out there. A few are Worth a little money But it realy is hard to tell without a pic.

lacyc

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, but I dont care about value, at least monetary value. I am doing archaeological research that will contribute to our understanding of our past rather than just digging for bottles for selfish reasons... Its definately not worth any money and I wouldn't care if it was, Im just interested in finding out what it was used for. Again, I thank you for your help, I think I have enough info now.

trussin

Reaction score
"It belongs in a museum"...oh to be young and idealistic again, jb in NJ. Today I am a capitalist. "We all become something we hate" J. Lennon...peace.

lacyc

Reaction score
I understand your point trussin, however condescending it was. I am simply bothered by the assumption that the only reason for researching is to find out how much something is worth. No, I dont think it belongs in a museum, but I am idealistic I guess. Better to be that way than to be jaded or apathetic. Sorry to disagree with you.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Lacy, understand that there are only a handful of us that have been active on this forum for over a 4 year period. There are a few archeologist, or archeoligical stewards on this forum. Most of the time, people find us (this forum) by a Google search and want to know if their 1930 screw top Listerene bottle is worth retiring on. This is the greatest wealth of information I have ever seen on bottles: collecting, pre or post 1900: value , scaricity...... or just, "What in the world is it?" from Austrailia to Mr. Clause's North Pole. Personally, I believe that every bottle found in tact pre 1900 deserves a place in a museum somewhere. The beauty about this forum is this: Most any active member that can help you will help you. I hope I have not overstepped my bounds, and I hope if you have any other questions about bottles, you will feel free to ask here. Kelley

bearswede

Reaction score
Nicely put, Kelly...

Lacy...

As a former archeologist, I understand your aversion to setting monetary values on artifacts that have potential for advancing our knowledge of human behavior. However, in this case, I would argue that bottle collectors are doing the archeological record a service by preserving and publishing an enormous study collection that is available to all (vis-a-vie this forum and others). Most sites that would be germaine to understanding the historic archeological record would be yielding bottle shards rather than whole specimens. Comparing the shards to whole bottles and the histories of those bottles, generally compiled by the bottle collecting fraternity, provides id's, dates, etc. that can generate useful information about human consumption habits.

Please keep this in mind before you judge us too harshly...

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18