APOTHECARY POISON TWO BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearfan

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,
Can anyone help me identify and date these two bottles?? the are just about an inch high. they have metal tops with a cork. Any help would be great!
apothecary.JPG

apothecary1.JPG

Thank You in advance for your help!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
The printing on the skull label -- what does it say?

One inch tall?! ...with or without the stopper?

Are you confident that the stoppers are original to the bottles?

Are they machine-made bottles or hand-finished?

They look like ink bottles, except for the skull label.

---------Harry Pristis

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bearfan, the poison label looks out of place to me, almost like it was added after the fact. Where did you get these? Any chance these are fantasy creations? What's everyone else think?

bearfan

Reaction score
here is everything I know. I got these at an antique store. I actually got a tape meassure out. They are just under 2.5 inches from the tip of the crown to the bottom of the bottle. Without the stopper they the bottle is 1.75 inches. I do not know if the stoppers are original to the bottles. I have providid 2 more pics of the label and stopper. I am hoping these are not fantasy or ink, I paid $50.00 for both. There was a written description that came with the bottles that read:
2 rare appthecary poison mini bottles
"Absolutely amazing and rare apothecary Green and Clear glass mini bottles. These bottles are in superb condition, wry well preserved, there are no cracks or scratches. The bottles both have very nice stoppers that have the appearance of a crown"
Please don't tell me I was taken to the cleaners with these. I thought they were something unique. Holding my head down feeling stupid at the moment. I should also mention that the original price for these was $100.00 and I asked them if they would take $50.00 and they agreed. it was at a group shop. the shop had to call the dealer. [&o]
label.JPG

label2.JPG

bearfan

Reaction score
here are some better pics of the bottom and of the bottles. the green bottle seems to have a ridge. the clear bottle does not have this ridge.
bottle.JPG

bottle2.JPG

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Does the label marking say O*ACHO ("danger") in Russian? (* here represents a Cyrilic letter--like the symbol for "Pi".) It is pronounced o-PAHS-no.

How are these labels affixed to the glass? ...baked enamel? ...paper labels glued to the glass? Describe.

The form of these bottles is that of an American-made "square inkwell" from the late 19th to the early 20th century (these bottles are slightly smaller than the average square inkwell, from my quick scan of Covill's illustrations).

Show us a pic of the lips without the stoppers, and we'll tell you if they are hand-finished or later machine-bottles (big difference in collector value).

The stoppers look like those I've seen on cosmetics bottles (lotions, hair tonic) from the turn of the century. Are the cork liners stained or natural-looking?

At the turn of the 19th century, Russia was Europeanized and was importing lots of western goods. I just don't know about these bottles yet -- collector items, curiosities, or frauds.

--------------Harry Pristis

woody

Reaction score
Hmmm........
I think they may be of European or Russian origin.
What is the significance of the crowns on the top?
The label looks like it may be in Russian writing.
Hard to say if it is real or a concoction that someone put together.
It does look to be blown in a mold.
I don't think it's an ink as the top is too large of an opening.
Strange............

bearfan

Reaction score
here you go---I could not get the top off the green bottle. The metal seams to be very soft snd beds easily. I did not want to cause any damage to it so I did not force it to come out.
thanks for all your information guys.
bottle3.JPG

bearfan

Reaction score
sorry I forgot to mention that the label is paper, I do not know how it was affixed to the bottles the bottles have a 3/4 inch opening.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu