Revolutionary War Period Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
Were there any embossed bottles in the mid to late 1700s that were blown here in the U.S. ? Were all bottles and other types of glassware in that time period coming in to the U.S. from other countries? Did all blackglass bottles in that time period come from overseas. Ive seen a few bottles that were dug at a revolutionary war camp and all were unembossed thin lip pontil puffs. With all the digging going on I don't remember anyone saying that they dug a embossed bottle from the 1700's or any bottle from the 1600's.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Were all bottles and other types of glassware in that time period coming in to the U.S. from other countries? Did all blackglass bottles in that time period come from overseas.

Jamestown and Williamsburg both has glass production so I would say thats an easy no.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Yep, lots of black glass bottles blown here from 1740 on...

RedGinger

Reaction score
As Gunth said, Jamestown had a short-lived bottling works. I think you'd find more 17th and 18th century glassware from Europe. I know they had some utility bottles in America during the 18th century, also. I'd love to see some examples.

earlyglass

Reaction score
To name a few areas operating in the 18th century or earlier...

Salem MA
Quincy MA (Germantown)
Boston, MA
Temple, NH
Hartford, CT (Pitkin)
New York City, NY
Alloway, NJ ( Wistarburgh)
Manheim, PA (Stiegel)
New Brehmen
Philly
... the list goes on. These are the ones that come to mind.

Mike

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Some info here, although you can't trust the author[;)]

http://www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com/webpages/ChapterThree.html

glass man

Reaction score
Again any embossed bottles from america at that period?
jamie

earlyglass

Reaction score
Most "embossed" colonial bottles are in the form of embossed applied seals. I have seen other bottles from the 18th century with primitive base embossing such as a letter or symbol.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Turlingtons Balsams were probably one of the earliest embossed medicines.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Robert-Turlington's-Balsam-Of-Life/m-333594/tm.htm

JustGlass

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones feedback. I have found many different size musketballs, gunflints and a couple of plain buttons, shoe buckle and a 1783 nova constellatio coin and a shoe buckle while metal detecting revolutionary war era sites. I have seen very little glass in these areas and when I do it is usually small pieces of different colored stoneware or chips of thick blackglass. There are some very old french settlements that have been scratced by archeoalogist and some broken glass has come from these but nothing whole that I know of. I would love to go to town on these settlements but they are off limits. I love to hold a nice piece of early 1800's glass, but a intact 1700's piece dug here in the U.S. would be my dream find. Im sure there is a ton of old glass laying in the silt on the bottom of Lake Champlain.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide