Old Fruit Jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

debrah22

Reaction score
My family has an old fruit canning jar that says: C S Siddon 1868. I have found the patent for Mr.Siddons of Rochester NY in the US Patent Book but cannot locate any other information about it or if any others exist. Have talked to dealers who say it's very rare but no one knows the value of it. Don't know where to look and what to do. Can anyone help. New to this forum, thanks!

ajohn

Reaction score
A rare jar indeed Deb.Here is a link to a gentleman considered a good source of information on this subject.......But before I cut loose with it you have to post a picture of the jar[;)] .....Just kidding,here ya go
http://www.gregspurgeon.com/caybett.html

dygger60

Reaction score
If ya can debrah....Pppllleeeeaaasseee post of picture of your jar......and yes.....ajohn was very correct in saying that it is a rare jar.....

I have heard of only one example and that was a damaged jar......a half gallon size....

Does the jar have a closure? If you have the closure....wow....the sky may be the limit...

And the value is UNLISTED.....LOL...this is the kind of stuff we live to hear about.

David

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7foC40SP4

junkyard jack

Reaction score
Yes, if possible, please post a picture of this jar.
You say your particular jar says "C S Siddon 1868". Are these markings found on the jar body, the jar's base or even perhaps on the closure?
The only listing in Red Book 10 (2626-3) is for "Chas. Siddon's Patent Rochester N Y", and as previously mentioned, it is only listed in Half Gallon size, Aqua color, Unpriced.
I, along with many others, would really love to see some pics of this jar.
The only info I could find in "The Fruit Jar Works Volume 1" is the following patent information:
Patent Date of March 24, 1868
Patent Number 75,993 issued to Charles S. Siddons for a Fruit Jar.
Sounds like you have a very rare jar.

dygger60

Reaction score
I dont know if I missed it or not...but there was not even a drawing in FJW or the RB.

Matter of fact...I dont even believe I saw the jar posting...they had the patent reference information in the back of the FJW...a jar number....but the number was not on the page....

But again...would LOVE to see a picture of this jar......

David

debrah22

Reaction score
Thanks for all your info! I will post a picture for you but may take a day or two. (it's under lock and key other than in my home :) It is aqua colored and pretty sure half gallon. Unfortunately no lid/closure. I was wondering if it was in the Red Book. Gotta go see what other jars we have!

ajohn

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: debrah22

Thanks for all your info! I will post a picture for you but may take a day or two. (it's under lock and key other than in my home :) It is aqua colored and pretty sure half gallon. Unfortunately no lid/closure. I was wondering if it was in the Red Book. Gotta go see what other jars we have!
COOL! Looking forward ti that! Thank you D.

ajohn

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ajohn

ORIGINAL: debrah22

COOL! Looking forward to that! Thank you D.

dygger60

Reaction score
Yes...it was in the Red Book #10,,,,price is unlisted....only one known and that is damaged....but even without the closure.....if it is not damaged....smile...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18