Tredyffrin chemical bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
This shard would've gone to an enormous bottle, and one I have no doubt would've been quite valuable. It looks like it would've been shaped like a Buffalo Lithia water bottle, or some other large chemical bottle. The embossing I have says "RE__/ TREDYFFRIN_/ RENN_/ PA/ POTASSIUM, CARBONIC A_/ MAGNESIUM, CAL_/ SODIUM, LI_". You can fill in the blanks easily for the other chemicals, probably Carbonic Acid, Calcium, and Lithium. What was this bottle?

I found out Tredyffrin is a town in Pa, so that explains that part of the embossing.

BDA4A3C13F1A4FA9AFFA84EE493C8A6A.jpg

Attachments

• BDA4A3C13F1A4FA9AFFA84EE493C8A6A.jpg
    BDA4A3C13F1A4FA9AFFA84EE493C8A6A.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 75

kwalker

Reaction score
I'd imagine the incomplete compounds would be carbonic acid, calcium and lithium. I'm not too sure why any of these would come in a glass jar but I'd imagine a lot of chemicals of that type would be available then.

PA_276713.gif

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kwalker

I'd imagine the incomplete compounds would be carbonic acid, calcium and lithium. I'm not too sure why any of these would come in a glass jar but I'd imagine a lot of chemicals of that type would be available then.

That's what I said! [sm=lol.gif][:D]

I'm wondering why all of those chemicals are embossed on the same bottle, though. Obviously no more than one of them would've been in the bottle at once, so why do they have so many embossed at once?

madman

Reaction score
HEY CONNOR THAT WOULDVE BEEN A HECK OF A BOTTLE THANKS FOR POSTING!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that is a mineral water bottle.
The chemicals listed are probably the assayed trace elements in the water.
Did they have a spring in that town??

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Tredyffrin

Lithia Water...

try this ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=mdtXAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=%22Tredyffrin%22+lithia+water&source=bl&ots=VeZtdV-p2k&sig=ES2cNGlQ0iRfyR9EmSzUz4CcmTA&hl=en&ei=pLosTvPuE-Pj0QHKidTkDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Tredyffrin%22%20lithia%20water&f=false

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Well, you've come through for me again Matt... Thanks a bunch! Would've been quite a nice bottle... Wish I could find a picture of a whole one. Think they're rare?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Connor,

Sounds like a water. You said it yourself:
enormous bottle
shaped like a Buffalo Lithia water

Tredyffrin, is pretty old by colonial standards, we're talking greater Valley Forge.

The ingredients sound like they were mineral contents of____ water.

My puzzle solving skills are more scrambled than usual this evening, but I did find this interesting tidbit:

"General B.J. Fisher & Colonial Springs: In the 19th century the land tracts on the Mountain became smaller and more fragmented. Around the turn of the century, General Benjamin Franklin Fisher consolidated many of these plots into a single holding.

The General was a civil war hero. After the war he set up as a lawyer, living initially on Valley Park Road in Schuylkill township. Fisher put together a tract of land that stretched from Colonial Springs down to Valley Creek in one direction, and across the mountain to the top of the Stirling’s Quarters Farm, the present Park boundary. Later he moved to a house across from the Colonial Springs. When the Park took over the area, it demolished the building. The foundations of the house can be seen opposite the bottling plant.

It is not clear when Colonial Springs were first used commercially; but Fisher granted a lease to the Colonial Springs Company in 1908 to use the waters of Cold Spring. Prior to this agreement, in 1900 C. T. Chase agreed to purchase at least 5000 gallons of Cold Springs water a month from Fisher.

General Fisher died in 1915. His heirs sold the property to Charles Hires, of Hires Root Beer fame. There is no evidence that the Hires company ever made root beer at the Springs. The Hires company main plant in the area was at Malvern. The Springs were purchased by the Valley Forge State Park in the 1930s." From.

img_v39n2p067b.jpg
From.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1