A cool photograph circa 1850s

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I stumbled across this image taken from Federal hill in the 1850s the building in the foreground is the Baltimore Glass Works on Hughes street. Not a great image of the Glass works but the only actual picture I have ever seen of it.

Chris

3203544E751447AA97A430828AAE0ED8.jpg

Attachments

• 3203544E751447AA97A430828AAE0ED8.jpg
    3203544E751447AA97A430828AAE0ED8.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 93

GuntherHess

Reaction score
interesting. looks similar to some other glass works I have seen.
I like the steam paddlewheeler in the back.
I think I see a flask laying on the ground. Dig there.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks Chris I love these old pictures of early glass house and glass making. I have saved quite a few of them. I think and expect that I will get them all showing in a blog I have been working on to review Early Glass Making. Best regards RED Mathews

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Chris sorry I missed this, that is a great picture. I have a lot of 1850s to 1880s pictures of South Jersey glass works.I will try and dig them out.That is a hellava view.You are looking South east across the inner harbor yes?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
A very nice picture. Just out of curiosity, what is the state of photography in the 1850s? I know they couldn't phtograph moving objects very well, yet this has a crisp and clear look to it.

Dansalata

Reaction score
i agree a very cool picture..take one back in time...

KBbottles

Reaction score
What an excellent picture!

Steve, I would love to see the South Jersey glass works photos when you have some time. I may even copy and print some for my own personal collection, to keep with any of my bottles from South Jersey of course.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Steve, The view is looking north east from atop federal hill you can see the Phoenix Shot tower off in the distance that's on the corner of Fayette and front street. Post some more pics of the south jersey glass houses.

Chris

bostaurus

Reaction score
Chris, when you are driving west on the Francis Scott Key Bridge, just before you come off the bridge, if you look to the right you can see the hulks of a couple wooden ships under the water. Have you seen those? Are folks allowed to dive on these old ships? I am not a diver and I live too far away now to do anything about it anyway, but I was always curious about those ships.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I need to get about 4 bottles to you I have been promising Chris,It will happen and I will send the money order with them in the box.Any additional work I can pay you with paypal or I can pay you now with paypal and just send you the bottles and you can add your additional costs as needed. I have been swamped personally latley but I am looking forward to seeing you apply your talent to each bottle.I will post the images of the glass works. I have to scan them first maybe this weekend would be a good time not a whole lot going on.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu