Educate Me about Bottle Terms

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I have read many other bottle forums, but this is the first one I joined. I have heard some of the terms used for parts or styles of a bottle, but have never actually seen them. Can you post pictures and a bit of info on these types of bottle?
1. Pontil. What exactly is a pontil, and what are open/closed/Iron pontils?
2. Hutch. What does a Hutch look like?
3. Ground Top.
4. ACL. Is that another word for a painted label, or something different?
5. Sealer. Is there a difference between a sealer and a regular jar, or are they the same?

Bottles R Us

Have you ever been to Bill Lindsey's SMA.org pages??
http://www.sha.org/bottle/
http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm
http://www.sha.org/bottle/finishes.htm
When I retired and started studying about how glass was made before 1900; I used at least three or four reams of paper and a heck of a lot of ink to print off many of these posted information pages, which I read and marked up for a few months of study. That was back before he retired, but he still works to keep things updated and what you can learn here is priceless. So just do it. RED Matthews

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Pyroglaze, ACL, painted label
[&:]

Good thing I haven't washed any ACLs then. All the painted labels I have washed must not have been acls.
It would suck if you had a dirty, rare ACL and then washed it to see the paint come off.

Bottles R Us

swizzle

Reaction score
I can't remember the name but I dug a soda from the canada dry company. I think its Spur or something like that. Perty little painted label. Washed her right off without even trying. [:(]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

Jim, why are you liein'? ACL is Applied Color Label and not a painted label. They are both different. If you try to clean a painted label bottle that's been in the ground for a while the label will come right clean off so you can admire all that beautiful slick bottliness. An ACL may fade a bit but can sometimes be brought back and in some cases are as pristine as the day they were made. So there, take this Jim [8D]
I'm tryin' to throw him off the trail with "Disinformation", thanx for ruining it Swiz...[8D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Wow you're in a good mood Jim! Were ya fishin today? [:)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Wow you're in a good mood Jim! Were ya fishin today? [:)]
No Charlie, I'm always in a good mood, wish I had gone fishing though....or better yet crabbin'[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94