Crown Jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
There are about 53 different listings for crown jars in the red book with variations in the number of dots around the crown, shape of crown,wording on jar, wording or design on lid, color etc with values ranging from 1.00 to a couple hundred dollars. For what you paid you didn't get hurt but would suggest you get a copy of the red book so you can judge hands on what you have.

dygger60

Reaction score
I agree with ya coreya...Crown jars are a tough one....there is soooooooooo many variations....no hearts.....bulge crown....there is alot....

surfaceone

Reaction score
It seems that every time I ask what something is worth, my question is met with responses that come across as quite rude.

I understand what you're saying, It just seemed a bit harsh the way surfaceone said it (no offence.)

Hello April,

I think you read too much into my observations. No offense taken.

Having said that, you have been singing a largely one note tune:

These jars, on the other hand, have to go. I'd like to know the values for these dates of Crown jars:

I have more jars that I need values on, so please view my posts if you know about jars.

and these 2 examples are from your opening post here. There is a refrain to most of your initial postings.

Some beginning "collectors" seem to be preoccupied with value. Perhaps that's where you are. But you seem to be buying and selling. You could find value information on these jars without much trouble.

"Subject: (5.5) Crown jar.

Canadian Crown fruit jars can be quite common, and were made by several different Canadian manufacturers. A few rare variations do exist, however. It's kind of hard to tell without seeing your jar, however, if any have ground lips they would be worth more. Sometimes Crown jars have variations in the shape of the crown itself or extra embossing that makes them more valuable. Most of the clear ones from the 40s and 50s are worth about $1 to $3 each." From a 2002 FAQ.

Clearly, the jars hold little interest for you. You could nuke them and possibly double or triple you "return"

Corey has given you good information and advise. Perhaps he may be able to provide some information on the "dating" or mould numbers that may or may not appear on the un-pictured bases.

"According to Paul Wilkinson of the Mould Design and Engineering division of
Domglas, a dating system using letters and numbers was introduced around 1941 (1979: 1). In this system, the letters A through F were used in front of the D in the diamond trademark, each letter representing a 2-month period, i.e, A =January/February, F = November/December, etc. Immediately following the trademark would be one or two
digits for the year of production. These numbers were the last digit of the year of' production. Wilkinson says that the letter system was used until 1953 when a progressive box code was introduced. Because the digits for 1941, 1942, and 1943 overlap with 1951, 1952, and 1953, it is difficult to know if bottles having 1, 2, or 3 after the trademark are from the ear1y 1940s or 1950s.

Confirmation of the letter/number system beginning in 1941 is provided by four flavouring extract bottles from a land fill site in
Ottawa. All four of these bottles have Owens scars, indicating they were made on the Owens automatic bottle-blowing machine. The bottles are the same and have "1 1/2 Fl. oz." embossed on the side and "EST. 91" on the base. Table 1 presents their date code information." From.

il_fullxfull.133212952.jpg

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Sorry I took your post the wrong way Surfaceone. Would it be better if I did not ask for values, just for information or showing off?
Thanks for all the info about jars. Also, I love that purple Crown, is that one of the hundred dollar jars?
P.S. I do have an interest in jars, but I know these are common. I would rather sell all of these common Crowns to buy a rare jar or bottle.

Bottles R Us

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94