Crown Jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
In one of my last posts, I said I wasn't selling anytime soon. That goes for bottles. These jars, on the other hand, have to go. I'd like to know the values for these dates of Crown jars:
Pints: Crown 1945, 1947, 1948,? 1950 (no ring). Crown Imperial undated, lots of bubbles. Corona undated.
1 1/2 Pints (maybe? about 7 inches high.) 1957.
2 Pints (again, maybe. Also 7 inches high, but the jar is wide until the 6-inch mark before it starts to slim.) Crown 1933, 1941, 1943, 1944, 1948, 1949, 2 dateless. Corona 2 dateless.
5 Pints? (9 inches high) 1953.

I have more jars that I need values on, so please view my posts if you know about jars.

Bottles R Us... So are jars

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello April,

They've got this new concept now. Photographic rendering, I believe they call it. This is a helpful tool in these parts. Especially when you're repeatedly asking for appraisals, lately of un-pictured items..

cormorant1.jpg

This is a photographic rendering of cormorants. They remain un-priced.

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Especially when you're repeatedly asking for appraisals, lately of un-pictured items..
Do you guys really have a problem with me asking for values? It seems that every time I ask what something is worth, my question is met with responses that come across as quite rude.
I will gladly take my questions elsewhere if that is what you want.

Oh, and I have to ask: what's a cormorant?

Bottles R Us... [&o]

kwalker

Reaction score
It's not that we have problems with price appraisals.But you're asking us to price something we can't see. Good condition to you can be something way different than what someone else calls "good condition" and a small chip can mean the difference between a $100 bottle and a $5 one. You said so yourself since your hutch was damaged the price went from $100 to $15...

Take some time and think about the people here. We aren't mind readers, ghosts or anything that can see inside of your computer screen and look at your bottles for you. Without pictures you can't sell anything on Ebay or anything like that so what makes you think it's different than finding the value on something? It doesn't take that much to take a few pictures and throw them up on here...in fact, it's quite easy.

"Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark" perfect example of using my signature's quote.

009-4.jpg

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
We aren't mind readers, ghosts or anything
Good, 'cause I certainly don't want to be on a forum with a bunch of ghosts...[;)]
I understand what you're saying, It just seemed a bit harsh the way surfaceone said it (no offence.)
Do you want pictures of all the jars, or just a few certain ones?

Bottles R Us

bostaurus

Reaction score
The folks on this site a extremely helpful, and very generous with their time and knowledge. The pictures are an absolute for them to be able to value a bottle or a jar. I have even learned that just a bit of a change in a common color can increase the value greatly...so just describing the color can be difficult or inaccurate when depending only on printed words.

Cormorant is a coastal sea-bird that dives for fish. They have been used by folks to catch fish. They would put a band on their necks so they couldn't swallow the fish they caught. The fisherman would take the fish out of their mouth, put it in a basket, and let the bird go back for more. I think they still do this in parts of Asia.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Do you guys really have a problem with me asking for values?
I don't but I won't give one either, it too speculative.
As for the Crowns they were Canada's Ball, many types and colors that require a lot of examination. Jars were not dated like milk and soda. They were meant to be re-used for many years so dating was pointless. I suspect the numbers are just mold ID's or possible patent dates. The matching lids and bands are very important.
Most Crowns are not worth the cost of shipping but if you have a midget or odd color it may be an exception.

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are dates, because I've never seen a Crown Jar with a number that could not be its real date.
Anyway, here's a photo of the pints. These all have the right lids, including the Corona.

3CDB644AE5F4405D958CDB1BA6998188.jpg

The jar at the top left does NOT look that green in person. It does have a greenish tinge though.
If you need pictures of a certain date/number, I can probably identify it by the lid.

Attachments

• 3CDB644AE5F4405D958CDB1BA6998188.jpg
    3CDB644AE5F4405D958CDB1BA6998188.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 201

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu