Energy storage

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
Good day all. Soon it will become reality and we can finally make the next big leap!

Scientist build battery in a nanowire: Hybrid energy storage device is as small as it can possibly get. The Rice lab of Professor Pulickel Ajayan has packed an entire lithium ion energy storage device into a single nanowire. Researchers described testing two versions of their battery/supercapacitor hybrid. The first is a sandwich with nickel/tin anode, polyethylene oxide electrolyte and polyaniline cathode layers. It was built as proof that lithium ions would move efficiently through the anode to the electrolyte and then to the supercapacitor-like cathode, which stores the ions in bulk and gives the device the ability to charge and discharge quickly.
The second one packs the same capabilities into a single nanowire. The researchers built centimeter scale arrays containing thousands of nanowire devices each about 150 nanometers wide.
A nanometer is a billionth of a meter, thousands of times smaller than a human hair.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Boy, it takes a while for news to get out to Hawaii, don't it?? I've got 360 gigawatts in my jeans pocket and another nodelet in the charger at work.. [8|]

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Boy, it takes a while for news to get out to Hawaii, don't it?? I've got 360 gigawatts in my jeans pocket and another nodelet in the charger at work.. [8|]

Hmmm. A gigawatt in your pocket. You must be farting lightning bolts..[8D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Depending on my diet on a given day, that's not an unrealistic suggestion.
Tell us more about these teensy-weensy energy storage things, or provide a link to an online source, if you have the energy.. I'm curious, but trip over my own self-awareness of knuckle-headedness and fall flat on me arse ..then I read some stuff and smarten myself up a bit and can at least pretend I have the slightest idea what the heck is going on.. so, does this mean we'll need a microscope to replace the battery in the bleeping smoke detector now??

rockbot

Reaction score
I was thinking more inline with medical devices and space travel but I guess we could start with smoke detectors.[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac