LIGHTNING JARS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim, the cheapest way to ship to the US is to put the shipping address on a peice of sturdy paper, place it in the bottle and put a watertight stopper in the top, and toss it as far out into the surf as possible! It will take awhile but eventually it'll get here! lol. By the way, I just heard a weather forcast, tomorrow afternoon it's supposed to start snowing here and continue into Wednesday, 8 - 12"! Will spring ever get here!

Kim

Reaction score
Hey Norm
Lol, I don't think I will be asking you to ship me any bottles. I made the mistake of pulling a couple of boxes from the shed, mostly old wares handed down through the family. Now I have a super mess of old stuff and don't really know what to do with it, maybe we could have an auction on my front lawn. I have an old lamp and researched it, found it in a book and it is valued around $800 14 years ago. The picture below is my most favourite piece but I really don't know what it is. You might be able to enlighten me on it. Is it a Jar? I found another tin of nitrite with 6 nebules in it.Hmm!
I can't believe you are having snow conditions. Not long ago we were have 42degree heat. I guess, like us, we like the perfect prospecting conditions [8D]. Too hot , too cold, we would like permanent spring or autumn around 25 degrees and cruising.lol.
Thanks Kim

Ay74179.jpg

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Kim, I have a basement full of 'stuff' I just couldn't part with when I put it down there, now i need to get rid of it to make room for the bottles I can't bear to part with! lol - You container at first glance looks like a honey or spice jar. Is the top vented? Are there any markings on the base - mfg. or pattern #. China or ceramic? If it didn't have the handle and the lid, I would think it was the base of a lamp. There aren't any ashes in it are there? Maybe it contains someone's great, great auntie! lol

Kim

Reaction score
Goodmorning Norm!
No ashes lol. Every time I read your posts I burst into laughter. The jar? isn't vented but if there were ashes in it they woudn't need to breath anyway,lol. On the base it says"ENGLAND" and a number (I think) "3116" It is really hard to read it. I am now wondering what you all must be thinking while your hunting for bottles. Norm, each bottle would have a history and I can picture you digging away, finding a bottle, picking it up in your hand and analysing it. Like Hmmm! "Did this travel thousands of miles over the seas with a message in it" or "Did this have somebodys ashes in it" lol. Know while I am detecting I am thinking "If I were a piece of gold sitting on top of a hill, where would I travel to?" Next thing I know I am off looking at a place I believe to be it's destination. lol. It doesn't always work but on occasions I 'm right.[:D].
Regards
Kim

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim, my thoughts about the top being vented was wondering if it was used for potporri, or rose petals or something. I know, it's a ceramic purse from the Queen Mother's estate! lol. Yes, I do like considering where the bottles I found have been, I am facinated with history and old things in general. We have found letters from the 1830's in our homes walls when we did some remodeling, and they are wonderful to read. I found a real prize last autumn when I rebuilt my front stoop, two of the granit slabs that made up the original steps, and a heavy brass key about 8'' long. I've shown it to a collector and he said it's from about 1795 - 1820, so I'm guessing it was original to the house. No gold so far though!

oz-riley

Reaction score
The flowered ceramic is a Biscuit Barrel, would be used to hold and serve Biscuits (Cookies) to the more uperclass guests.

Thanks
Chris

Maine Digger

Reaction score
So Pretty close when I said it might be connected to royalty! lol - Hey Oz- I already asked Kim this, are you being affected in your area by the locusts?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac