Elliman's Embrocation look-a-likes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
83490F08115E44EEA98652E3A5A9C590.jpg

Hey Melinda,

Super line up of embrocations. I'm over here squinting like mad, trying to get a good gander at the various finishes. Was there a common embrocation finish? Thanks for showing these.

EllimansEmbrocation.jpg
From.

bostaurus

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry for the poor photography. They are all BIM except for one of the Vanner and Prest bottles which is machine made. The rest of them have applied lips, some of them rather sloppy. The "Stud" one has a tooled lip with the base of the lip was incorporated into the mold. About half have the "Elliman's" type lip with the extra ring at the top which probably catch drips better.
There is one on the British eBay right now called Grandmother's Embrocation with the same shape. I have not been able to find any information as to whether it was a vet med or not.
I think applied lips were used longer in Britain than here so some of them are not as old as they might first seem.

bostaurus

Reaction score
Just added another look-a-like.
Jamieson & Co Renowned Embrocation for Horses & C London & Aberdeen

Funny that they ran out of room and put "C" instead of spelling out Cattle. My only one listing Aberdeen. If a Scottish town is embossed on the bottle it is usually Edinburgh.

A076D78166FD4420AE7D292889C54F35.jpg

Attachments

• A076D78166FD4420AE7D292889C54F35.jpg
    A076D78166FD4420AE7D292889C54F35.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 93

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I would love to know what was in some of these liniments. They were probably pretty much the same.
[align=left]4084. Veterinary Liniment.[/align][align=left]Oil of Amber, 2 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Camphor, 4 ounces av.[/align][align=left]Carbolic Acid, 3 ounces av.[/align][align=left]Oil of Tar, 2 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Oil of Sassafras, 4 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Oil of Turpentine, 2 pints.[/align][align=left]Fenner’s Complete Formulary - Part IV -[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]4083. "Spavin Cure."[/align][align=left]This comes properly under the head of Liniments, but it is chiefly used[/align][align=left]in veterinary practice. It is, however, an excellent absorbent liniment for[/align][align=left]man or beast. An excellent application for swellings or lameness of any[/align][align=left]kind, but it must not be used internally.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Camphor, 4 ounces av.[/align][align=left]Oil of Turpentine, 4 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Tincture of Iodine, 4 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Bichloride of Mercury, 30 grains.[/align][align=left]Oil of Spike, 2 fl. ounces.[/align][align=left]Oil of Amber, 2 fl. drachms.[/align][align=left]Mix and dissolve.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]
4077. " Gargling Oil" Liniment.​
Camphor, 8 ounces av.​
Oil of Amber, 2 fl. ounces.​
Origanum Oil, 1 fl. ounce.​
Carbolic Acid, 4 ounces av.​
Oil of Turpentine, 3 pints.​
Crude Petroleum Oil, 4 pints.​
Stronger Water of Ammonia,. 2 fl. ounces.​
Mix and dissolve.​
[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]

bostaurus

Reaction score
From the formulas you listed I bet they smelled to high heaven. I will have to get out some of my old farming books and see what the recipes in there say.
I need to look up some of that stuff too. Oil of Amber and Oil of Spike?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Alright! In this 2011 thread, Bostaurus has provided lots of info on Elliman's Embrocation. In doing so, he has provided a strong clue to the identity of my mystery bottle.
soda_mystery_A.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Now that I can think of this bottle as a liniment bottle, perhaps the lip finish is understandable. Maybe this finish is an approach to an applicator lip. The lip is wide and smooth. Pressed against the flank of a horse, the bottle could be moved across distressed areas dispensing the liniment. Just a thought.

bostaurus

Reaction score
While the Elliman's Embrocation was used for humans and the Elliman's Royal Embrocation was for horses it seems it was not always the case. I recently bought a rectangle Elliman;s Embrocation that was labeled for horses (Elliman's Royal Embrocation) complete with the box. It is imported by a New York Company so they may have bottled it in the rectangle bottle to make shipping easier. The label shows the ingredients: Turpentine, Acetic Acid and Egg Whites. Pretty simple.IMG_1333.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis