ball jar & half a lid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, dug this a couple of weeks ago. thought it was neat that it still had half of the lid still on it. this is the 1st wire lid jar i have dug, but it didn't have the wire on it. any ideal of age or value would be appreciated. it seems strange that they would make wire top closures and screw tops at the same time. thanks for looking , rhona

Rp42888.jpg

Attachments

• Rp42888.jpg
    Rp42888.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Rp42888.jpg
    Rp42888.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 84

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rhona, that perticular ball jar was produced from 1923 to 1933. There were many variations. they book from $8 to $10 but rarely go for more than $5. Lids are easy to find and I usualy save cracked or broken jars for the wire bails.

Mk26980.jpg

Mainely Broken

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
Cool find! I have many of these jars as well as lids. If you don't have an extra lid I'll send you one for the postage only. Can't help with the wires though. If you want send me a private email & I'll ship ya one!!
Vicky

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi ALL!

This Ball IDEAL jar with half the lid was actually produced between the years of 1933 and 1960, the ones made between 1923 and 1933 have no underscore.

I can help a lot of you new collectors with information regarding jars. I worked for Ball for 20 years and have collected jars for over 30 years now and am considered by many expert in the field. I have published several articles on the web in various places, especially concerning the rash of reproductions and faked color jars we often see today on ebay.

If you'd like to learn more about repros, how to date Ball jars and how to describe colors, just check out my ebay About ME page here:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=bobclay

If you ever have any jar related questions, you can email me directly from there.

Happy collecting! :eek:)

Bob Clay

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown