Embossed mustard barrels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

captcadillac

Reaction score
What does the embossing read?. The shape is more of the straight sided barrel mold, compared to the bulbous barrel molds, if its pontiled then your looking at probably pre 1870. I The top appears to be ground.
It reminds me of a Wm. Scotten mustard from St Louis who used that mold with a ground top and was pontiled.
SCPC is recovering from surgery and I am covering for her. I am her brother in law.
Capt Cadiilac

R.Spears

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: captcadillac

What does the embossing read?. The shape is more of the straight sided barrel mold, compared to the bulbous barrel molds, if its pontiled then your looking at probably pre 1870. I The top appears to be ground.
It reminds me of a Wm. Scotten mustard from St Louis who used that mold with a ground top and was pontiled.
SCPC is recovering from surgery and I am covering for her. I am her brother in law.
Capt Cadiilac

Well i hope her recovery goes well. The jar had no markings on it at all.
here are a few more pics.
spyet2.jpg

ictuzt.jpg

captcadillac

Reaction score
If you could try and take a good picture of the bottom of your jar that would help date it. From your pictures it looks like it may be pontiled. The pontils on most mustards are very weak at best. If you could try a straight center and a side slightly angled of the base pictures that may show the bottom.
Thanks for posting your barrel.
CaptCadiillac

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Here is a barrel I dug over the weekend, clear glass, ground lip, smooth base, approx 4" tall. Not sure but it could have been a mustard. It had remnants of the original label as do most of the bottles from this dump but when they reach the air disintegration starts rapidly, it could not be saved or read enough to know exact contents or company...Al

8AB37657F2894817AEC49FAC6D229552.jpg

Attachments

• 8AB37657F2894817AEC49FAC6D229552.jpg
    8AB37657F2894817AEC49FAC6D229552.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 210

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

ORIGINAL: SC pontil collector

Hey surfaceone,
Where did you find that one you posted?
You stay live in da islands?
sc pontil collector

Nah, Brah,

They were discussing this guy @ Current Auctions and Sales under Is this guy serious? The mook from Pequannock has an imperfect understanding of bottles and the values thereof, but he did have that mustard
5V35T05X63n73k93oebadd141c661eb93190c.jpg
. I'd like to say I've dug one, but "but, No-o-o-o-o." I'm sure they come up from time to time, under a less delusional platform.

tumblr_ln7txoOKrY1qez26jo1_400.gif

I HAVE HEARD OF CAT JUGGLING!!DISGUSTING![:D] GREAT BOTTLES!!JAMIE

captcadillac

Reaction score
Thanks for posting a picture of your latest dig. Probably a mustard because of its shape, but without embossing or a label its hard to say what was in it.
Nice find and shape, different than most jars.
CaptCadillac

captcadillac

Reaction score
That is a much better picture. However still can't tell from the picture if its a smooth or pontiled base.
If you want to try another base picture, look at the pictures that were posted earlier on this thread that show the base at an angle.
Clarity is very important to see the base.
CaptCadillac

bottlefanatic

Reaction score
yes I have 2 of those and there nice, decided to collect mustards 3 or 4 yrs. ago on a quest to get as many as possible and have a few now looking for pre 1866 embossed mustards Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, Boston etc. I think there are many unlisted let me know thanx

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi