5 Gallon Clay Jugs

I have a three 5 gallon Jug about 19" tall. One that has a 5 stamped in the mold. It reads on the side of the jar "Steinhardt Bros. & Ceo 1214123 Heudson St New York" Second one also has a 5 stamped in the mold. It reads E.Kane & Co and has a drawing of two men faces above the writing. The third jug has no marking except a blue 5 stamped on it with a circle around the 5. This is not stamped but painted on. I will try to post all three pictures. Are they worth anything?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 464D545D4AB5479FA2998523E8C1E4C1.jpg  

Member New Bottler

RE: 5 Gallon Clay Jugs

Re: Steinhardt and Co. at 121 & 123 Hudson St.

The Steinhardt company was begun in 1872 in New York and was closed down as a result of Prohibition.

The Steinhardt and Co. jug is listed at:
    http://www.thomastonauction.com/catalog.php?AuctionNumber=58

"JUG - FIVE GALLON TALL STONEWARE JUG INCISED #5 W/ BLUE HAND PAINTED ADVERTISING OF 'STEINHARDT BROS & CO 121 HUDSON ST NY', STRAIGHT SIDES W/ NARROW NECK & APPLIED HANDLE, RANDOM BLUE & BROWN GLAZE BLOTCHES SIZE: 19"H X 11"D CONDITION: GOOD - $175.00"

Another Steinhardt, with the 121 Hudson St. address, is at auction with an estimated selling price of $350-$500 at:
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1253463

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BA943729E8864F0EB427693EFAD88F77.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master

RE: 5 Gallon Clay Jugs

The E. Kane jug MIGHT be from Brooklyn. I have a had a number of E. Kane jugs over the years, all with a Brooklyn address, but have not seen one like yours, with just the name.
    Kane was a liquor wholesaler, same as Steinhardt. on your other jug.

Are these available to purchase? They are from my family who owned liquor stores in NYC - I can answer some questions if you still have them. Thanks, Jane Steinhardt

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    The post is 8 years old so not sure if you'll get a response. if not you may try to PM or e-mail him. Good Luck. LEON.