New wax sealers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

georgeoj

Reaction score
Three common wax sealers with lids ( one was a jelly jar lid ). I found them together with a very low price. The Ball Standard has some light whittle, a few bubbles and some vertical streaking that would be called a swirl if it went the other way. The second jar has some nice large bubbles at the top, some swirling and a large amount of mold repair. The third jar has some light whittle, some bubbles and some mold repair. The lips are all damage free and overall a good group but at least one for the crude jar collection.[8D]
George

BACA48F6A11440D9B665B65F8FA92CB8.jpg

Attachments

• BACA48F6A11440D9B665B65F8FA92CB8.jpg
    BACA48F6A11440D9B665B65F8FA92CB8.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 61

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello georgeoj; I would like to know more about the mold repair evidences you referred to. I really like these old wax seal canning jars. RED Matthews

dygger60

Reaction score
Congrats on your finds!! And no damage to the wax channels...that is a big plus.

Waxsealers have to be the toughest to identify of all jars.....most had no markings or just some
numbers.....but over all they were where it started....

I have always been partial to waxsealers....

Good finds!

David

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi again and thanks for the repair seam pictures. In the seam maintenance of early gray iron mold equipment, they used a process of stoving the iron with a punch on the flat parting face of the open mold. Then they would use a pull scraper tool with a radius that would closely match the curved cavity surface, and scrape off some of the buldge. they created to make the bottles form better. The mold face stoving was done with a blunt end tool that was made at about 3/4" length by 1/8" of flat face. This put a dent of that size in the mold face and added useful life to the mold. When this was done a different problem occurred, because the heat cycled iron at each end of the stove mark would end up cracking vertically into the iron and ended up letting the cracks show on the glass at each end of the stove. When we got into doing a spray powder metal weld on the cavity failure - we made them stop stoving the mold faces.

Thanks for the pictures. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu